Driveline polarity

-

canyncarvr

Reaction score
I've had this car for only 40 years...why should I know this?#-o It's embarrassing........

While waiting for my new slip yoke from Brewer and company (Good People!) it occurred to me that I don't know if my driveline is correct to start with. I put it together so long ago, I don't know the answer to this question:

My driveline is not a single diameter tube. Does the reduced diameter section of the driveline fit on the slip yoke or the pinion yoke? The smaller section has been on the pinion yoke end for years..including several years of 1/4-mile use with the car running in the low 12's. Never broke the driveline...just other stuff.

Not knowing which direction it should go, or not remembering why it's the way it is....I should ask.

And so I did.......

Thanks!

I don't either. My RR had a much larger driveshaft, and yet of course same transmission bushing seal, so surely it's not a factor of weight and strain on the trans bushing.

Oh my! My driveline has been backwards for only a few decades??!!

I could guess that I asked the local Driveline Service folks this question years ago and put my driveline together according to what they said..but a guess is all it is.

Thanks for the input!

67D: I had a '66 273 Dart GT..my first car! A solid lifter 4BBL 4sp little hotrod. It makes me ill (now) to think I got rid of it 'cuz it had 13" wheels and no 'fashionable' choices were available for 13" wheels with that spacing back then.

I traded it in on a '68 R/T Charger with a 440HP/4sp.

And it makes me much MORE ill to know I got rid of THAT car, too!

:sign3:

That's me!!

I don't like bothering people working at making a living and it's never fun advertising ignorance....but I asked Misters Brewer the question. They were kind enough to respond, saying:

The tapered end would go to the rear.

He didn't say why.

I have no clue how that fits with what AJ has found to be true. Maybe they are generally put together one way originally, but work better for some reason turned around?

I don't know.

What Brewer's say is fine with me! :cheers:

Honestly with as high as your car sits in the rear it don't matter which way you put it in.
Smaller tubes were for a cheaper diameter yoke for the end.
Plus back them majority of the roads were, dirt, gravel etc.
The smaller diameter allowed for more clearance on the rear yoke, plus extra ground clearance.

Honestly with as high as your car sits in the rear it don't matter which way you put it in.

That is pretty goofy, 'eh?

It's not normally that high. I might have just put some air in the shocks and not properly adjusted it...not sure. I took that pic only 'cuz the car was clean and shiny.

That IS what counts of course. :)

Leave it as it sits, looks good.
Reminds me off all the old hot rods running around when I was in school.

-
Back