Driveline vibration

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
Just upped from 3.21 to 3.91 gears in my 8.25 rear in my Duster. Running a A833 OD trans, 255/60/15 rear tires, and stock diameter driveshaft. Everything in front suspension is good and ujoints are good. Balancer is good

Immediately after the gear change by a reputable rear shop, I noticed a vibration above 65 mph in the trans area or front drivetrain. Not felt in seat and not in steering wheel either. It is still present if I kick the trans into neutral. Noticed in 3rd gear at same speed as well.

Does this sound like a driveshaft rpm issue with the new gear and a simple rebalance needed? No vibration noticed below that speed.

YES, and NO. Did you remember to change your speed-O gear? Is the 65mph that you reported a true groundspeed of 65mph, or an uncorrected speed-O reading?
If this is a true speed, then;
You have increased the driveshaft speed 22%. The vibration used to be at 53 Mph, but the intensity was much reduced. And you may not have noticed it, cuz who drives 53?
But to prove it, you will need to do some detective work.
Even up your tire pressures and drive the car around until everything is up to temp and the tires are round;probably 10 miles for the tires. Bring it home jack it up to get the rear wheels off the ground, put the jackstands under the axle tubes, pull the jack out.This is important; that the driveshaft to pinion angle be in the normal working relationship. Have a helper start it up and run it up slowly while you eyeball the tires for roundness. This only takes a few mph.Also check for a bent rim, and rim runout.Since you didn't mention a problem before the swap, and the wheel speed remains the same, I expect your wheels and tires to be fine, but this is where I start.If everything checks out:
Then run it up to 30mph.Do NOT stand behind the car anytime the wheels are in motion. If the rear end starts to bouncing,or you see the springs quivering, go get your wheels balanced first.
Now starts the test. With round tires and true rims and balanced wheels. Run it up to 30 again.Do NOT stand behind the car anytime the wheels are in motion.All good? Put it in Direct gear, and Continue until the vibration becomes apparent. Record the speed.Stop the test.
Remove the wheels. Secure the drums. Repeat the test. Record the speed, Stop the test.Any difference? If no; remove the drums. Repeat the test,record the speed, stop the test. Any difference?If no; Normally I would say to remove the axles and repeat the test, but with an 8.25 this is a PITA. Plus I only ever found one bent axle with this test.
So now we have eliminated everything up to the ring gear.And you,when you performed the coast down with the engine idling,eliminated everything from the cluster forward. So the vibration has to be from the tranny mainshaft to the crown gear.Now let's see; I've never seen a bent M/S and you had no issue before the gear swap, so lets eliminate that. Next up is the pinion angle, but that was also fine before, so now we are left with driveshaft, u-joints, and crown/pinion. C&Ps are precision manufactured items. If the gears are quiet and the backlash is not too tight, then your installer did a good job, and I would never suspect them. So next up is the U-joints, and the propeller. So put the tranny in neutral and with the engine off, rotate that hummer and see if it is bent.Check especially the backend to be sure your guy installed the rear straps correctly. If it spins true,remove that D/S and check the joints out. No don't take 'em apart,yet. If the joints operate smoothly, lets rule them out. But before we do, pop the rear caps off one-atta-time and make sure there are no rollers laying flat across the bottom. While they are off you can check the crosses to see them all shiny,smooth, and well-greased.
Ok that just leaves the balance of the shaft...... and the unchecked axles.
At this point it's time to put a dial indicator on the flanges and prove them true. And if they are,that will get us just the D/S to blame. So it's off to the machineshop.Bring your wallet.
You can leave the car on the jackstands for a couple of days where it is; right? Don't bother putting anything back together,cuz when the ds comes back, the first thing you are..... ,ok the second thing you are gonna do is repeat the test, to prove the issue is resolved.If yes, THEN you can reassemble everything and go raise a lil-El. If no the issue is still there, you are gonna have to revisit the pinion angle.

Last edited:
Had similar issue: torque convertor needed balancing and balanced driveshaft to be sure. Problem gone.

I had a vibration appear after a gear change only in an 8 3/4 that was obvious at the 1/8 mile mark. Turned out that the ring gear was machined incorrectly (machined AFTER I bought it) and was out of balance. I was able to duplicate it on jackstands to find the source. I suppose there is a chance that the gear might be machined wrong from the factory.

Had similar issue: torque convertor needed balancing and balanced driveshaft to be sure. Problem gone.
IIRC he said he put it into neutral and the problem remained with no change, so I kinda thought to rule the engine out,and everything that rotates with it.

I had a vibration appear after a gear change only in an 8 3/4 that was obvious at the 1/8 mile mark. Turned out that the ring gear was machined incorrectly (machined AFTER I bought it) and was out of balance. I was able to duplicate it on jackstands to find the source. I suppose there is a chance that the gear might be machined wrong from the factory.
I suppose there is that chance. But Ima thinkin that would or should be caught during patterning.In the hundred,and hundreds,and hundreds, of diffs I have set up, I have never come across a bad set. That doesn't mean that there is not a bad set out there. It simply means I never saw one.

I suppose there is that chance. But Ima thinkin that would or should be caught during patterning.In the hundred,and hundreds,and hundreds, of diffs I have set up, I have never come across a bad set. That doesn't mean that there is not a bad set out there. It simply means I never saw one.[/QUOTE]

The gear set put in was actually used for a brief time with no issue back when I had the 904 trans in. Swapped the 3.21s back in until I put the 4 speed in about 8 months ago. Just put the 3.91s back in it last week. First trip out on the highway the same day as the install, I noticed the vibration/resonance.

I am pulling the driveshaft off this evening to take to the local driveline shop for re-balance. $75 is cheap insurance, even if it turns out not being the issue. It has been about 8 years and 50,000 miles since the last rebalance of that driveshaft to begin with. I will mention the swap to 3.91 gears from 3.21 and noticing the vibration immediately during the first drive on the highway.

Years ago, a friend and his helper changed a U joint ( 70? sb chevy p/u ). Later on he asked me, "Can we take this back apart? Something still aint right. The rear joint was bad. Maybe the front joint is bad too". Looking into that new rear joint I found a single needle laying cross ways in the bottom of a cap.
It had been that way for a few weeks. 2 new joints were installed. Cured

Update: front u joint was worn, so replaced the front and rear u joints with new Spicer joints and had the driveline shop spin it up. It isn’t the 100% perfect driveshaft as I was told, but it was balanced and told it was good to run. Much much better. No major vibration at speed and especially not on deceleration. There is still an ever so slight vibration or roughness felt at speeds north of 65 mph, but it is more towards the rear now and as I said, not worsening during deceleration. That might just be from the Cooper Cobra rear tires which I might balance to see if I can clean up the vibrations completely.

Once thing I am wondering about is the capacity that the current driveshaft is able to hold. Yes, I am running a A833 OD trans with 3.91 gears, but power is 290-300 horse at the crank. The driveshaft is a stock 318 2 bbl piece, that was shortened at the rear of the shaft when I swapped to an 8.25” rear. Is my current driveshaft up to the challenge currently and should I consider having another one made if I up the power a fair amount in the future?

You should be fine.
I am putting 400plus into a 3" teener tube,and 295/50-15s;albeit with 1360 joints, and shortened enough to accommodate a GearVendor. 7260s weren't cutting it.

Last edited:
-
Back