Driveshaft length.....again.

-

Cudaroy

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am replacing my 71/4 with a 8 1/4 3.55SG and need to know the correct length from u joint to u joint. 67 Barracuda.....727 to 8 1/4. I realize this topic has been beaten to death but someone HAS to have this info. I just can't find it........maybe someone with a 340 Duster/demon has this info

Thanks,Mike

Why doesn't anyone have a factory service manual, its all in there...Mine doesn't cover the later 8.25 vehicles though.

The 8.25 rear is 1.25 inches longer than the 7.25 so you original drive shaft should be 1.25 shorter for the swap BUT.. if you plan to install 16 or larger wheels someday you will need to move the axle rearward to center wheel opening. Block the front spring hangers back 1 inch and reuse your drive shaft with no length change. Offset spring hangers are available to move the springs inward .75 and rearward 1.0. Those will cost about the same as what shorten and rebalance will cost.
Cant get this info from a service manual :).

Interesting info.......thanks.
I guess I should have given more info on my issue. I bought this car last summer with the 360/727/7 1/4 and car was originally a 273/904/7 1/4. Had a bad shake which turned out to be a unbalanced torque converter (non 360) Guy that put the 360 in was unaware of the externally balanced requirement. I had to remove the tranny to install the B&M flexplate at which time I noticed the tranny yoke was at about at its limit in the tranny. Seems it is ALMOST too long. There is no way it will go back in once I install the 8 1/4 rear. I only want to either find the correct length shaft or have mine shortened. I suspect someone has a correct,original 727 to 8 1/4 for a 108"wheelbase a body. I can guess what will work,just hoping somebody had the right length number.

Your Barracuda and 1973 Duster and Dart Sport have the same wheelbase-108" inches And in 73, they went to an 8 1/4 rear end.

So you will use the same driveshaft as a 73 340 727 Duster/ Dart Sport

That driveshaft would be part # 2996157
7260 yoke
3.25 Diameter
48.9 Length

Ain't workin' on a modified car fun ??

Your Barracuda and 1973 Duster and Dart Sport have the same wheelbase-108" inches And in 73, they went to an 8 1/4 rear end.

So you will use the same driveshaft as a 73 340 727 Duster/ Dart Sport

That driveshaft would be part # 2996157
7260 yoke
3.25 Diameter
48.9 Length

Ain't workin' on a modified car fun ??

Sure is....but it's a mopar so I figure it's worth it. Thanks for the driveshaft info.......the 48.9 dimension.....that from u joint to u joint center?
BTW....see your in JAX.......I was stationed there from 82-85......almost stayed after I got out cause I liked it so much......Restaurant called Ragtime at the beach........oh, the memories......

That's it! Being from New England I didn't have much hot (spicy) food until I joined the Navy and got stationed in Florida but I did know my seafood. That being said, Ragtime had this Swordfish with a black mushroom sauce served with red beans and rice that I still can't forget..incredible.
They used to serve these "Nuclear Chicken Wings" that they brought a towel to put around your neck because you swetted just from the aroma....not my favorite but my buddy from Alabama sure liked them.
My niece is a bartender somewhere near the beach and loves the place too......That swordfish will never be forgotten......
And you guys down there also have the BEST oysters.....we bought them by the bushel....through them on a grill,shucked them, ate them with horshradish and crackers.......heaven. Thanks for the memories.
Now....what about that dimension.......

I do believe the dimension is from the center of the u-joints.

Now you have to come down and get you some seafood !!

Why doesn't anyone have a factory service manual, its all in there...Mine doesn't cover the later 8.25 vehicles though.

My question was similar....only it was more like,why doesn't anyone around here have a tape measure?

-
Back