Driveshaft on my 66 valiant fell off. Now what?

-

nephlyte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not only did it fall off, it was stolen.

Last night i was cruising, and heard a terrible clank clank clank. The clank stopped and i rolled to a good place to leave the car for the night.

I got up this morning to check it out, found the driveshaft missing, walked along the road i was on and its not there. Someone picked it up. So now i am screwed.

I don't even know where to start. Its a A904 transmission. So i figure i'm just going to order a yoke and get someone to make me a new one?

Am i on the right track? Anyone got one of these laying around? :cross fingers:

Should be able to get one from a junk yard.

What rear end is in the car?? I can probably put you into a driveshaft without too much trouble. Get under the car and measure from the rear saddle on the diff to the tailshaft on the trans and send me a pm with the dimension. I should have it for you!! Geof

Is it using a slip or trunion ? measure from the center of the end yoke (where the strap kit meets the end yoke to hold the joint in) to the tip of the tailshaft and then the seal. . .

Thanks for all the quick replies. Ya, you are right, it probably wasn't useable, but at least i'd have the yoke.

Right now i'm stuck with nothing. Its sunday so tomorrow i will be calling around to every junkyard. Its a 7.25 rear end. I will get under the car tomorrow with a tape measure and get you that dimension.

If you have one, that would save my day.

Edit: Its just a slip in yoke. (I think thats what you were asking, supershafts)

It should be about 51 1/2" long with the 7260 (2 1/8") u-joints. If you can't find one closer, I should have one also. The factory ones I've seen on that model are a "tube-in-tube" design with a sound deadener in between. I've replaced them with the solid tube design without a problem but if you're looking to keep it stock, that's what you're looking for. The yoke was extra long on that model also. Shipping from here might be an issue though......I'd have to check with UPS.

I'm in the same camp as cudamark. The shaft I have is from a 66 Barracuda or Valiant 2 door and it is the tube in tube design. I also have a number of different shafts from Darts with the 318/904/7 1/4 rear. The reason I'm asking for the dimensions is that I would offer a solid one piece design if I have the length you need. I also have a dozen or so yokes for the 904 and 7260 U-joint.

Again, I'm in the camp with cudamark in the fact that I live in Michigan and you're in texas so shipping is a must. If you need one that I have it will be shipped in a tube to minimize the cost, but it is still relatively heavy so your first option should be to try to find one locally. With your dimensions in hand, you may be able to find something relatively easy, but if you can't find one I'll be glad to help!! Geof

Well, I haven't been able to measure it. Somehow everyone needs me to work for them when i have no vehicle. But i've been on the phone. I'm not having luck with the junkyards here in town. And there is only one drive shaft shop left here in town.

My dad advised me that the shop would have to "make something work." So i'm likely going to need one from somewhere else. If it comes down to it, I'm willing to buy one and pay for it to be resized.

I'll give an update tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys.

Just take yours to a driveline shop, they can re-tube it if it's bent, replace the weld yoke if it's screwed up. . . .
See your local driveline shop. . .

I think that was one of the problems.....he doesn't have the old one.....

Hehe, ya, if only i had got it off the side of the road that night. Now i know what a driveshaft sounds like when it falls off.

Well, i jacked it up and put a tape measure to it. It looks like its 54" from taleshaft to differential saddle. Does that sound right?

Also, there is 1/2 a u-joint on the differential side, so it appears i found the failure.

Alright, well thanks for everyone's help. The driveshaft shop ended up finding the parts and built me one. Now i'm back on the road and now i know the sound of a driveshaft thats fallen off.

-
Back