driveshaft removal on 76 swinger

-

jasonmrenda

Reaction score
well i am just about to drop the whole k frame with engine and trans attached but i want to remove the driveshaft first. i undid the 4 bolts at the rear u-joint and removed the 2 plates. i removed the trans crossmember. no matter what i do i cannot get the driveshaft to drop out. is there a snap ring or something i am missing? i only have my manual for the 67 and it doesnt mention anything about a snap ring or whatnot, but maybe there is a difference on the 76?

should be as simple as put a screw driver between ujoint and pinion yoke and pry . Shaft should slide into trans far enough to seperate unless the rear is danging from the springs and has the shaft jambed to zero movement. Jack the rear axle up some maybe ? Good luck

My '76 the shaft just slid out with the endshaft still conected by ujoint after I had disconnected the differential

Like Redfish said,pry u-jouint away from rear yoke.It should move forward into tranny housing,once the rear of the shaft has dropped,slide shaft out of tranny.Make sure the rear of your car is up or get ready to catch tranny fluid!

Like Redfish said,pry u-jouint away from rear yoke.It should move forward into tranny housing,once the rear of the shaft has dropped,slide shaft out of tranny.Make sure the rear of your car is up or get ready to catch tranny fluid!

Exactly... if you haven't drained the tranny already, expect a waterfall.....

-
Back