Drl

-
I read all the way to "wire nuts" and ran away. Twist on wire nuts are not to be used anywhere but inside junction boxes. Look inside a clothes dryer or anything that vibrates and you wont find any.
I dont like those scotchlock splice things either. They aren't water tight. The knife blade in them will rust. The worst part is going back in or behind the installer. Where that thing has opened and fell off, try to find which wire has the evidence ( tiny cut in the insulation ) of where it should be.

Gee! Most folks I know that have daytime running lights are looking to defeat them not add it to a car that didn't come with them.

I have to agree with Redfish. Using wire nuts and/or scotchlock splice thingy's is a bad idea for any wiring modification. They all eventually open up. I prefer to use a good crimp and solder with shrink wrap.

Wire nuts are the wrong way to do it.

Scotch locks (or, even worse, generic copycats of this kind of crunch-type connector) are the wrong way to do it.

Solder + heat shrink works well.
Posi-Taps work well.

Daytime running lights work effectively to reduce the chances of being in a crash. The problems most people have with DRLs (glare, distraction, increased fuel consumption, frequent replacement of expensive headlight bulbs, etc.) are the result of poor ways of implementing DRLs, not a result of the concept of DRLs.

Daytime running lights work effectively to reduce the chances of being in a crash. The problems most people have with DRLs (glare, distraction, increased fuel consumption, frequent replacement of expensive headlight bulbs, etc.) are the result of poor ways of implementing DRLs, not a result of the concept of DRLs.

One of the reasons you see big truck manufacturers, KW, Pete, Freightliner, etc, throw them on the marker lights and not the headlights. Still accomplishes the job without the side effects.

Still, all in all, if you're worried about it there's a position on the headlight knob for one click and the markers are on. All the markers. And it came with the car.

The problem I have with drl's is the fact that many people do not bother to turn their lights on when they should. IE foggy weather, blowing snow,rain...DRL's DO NOT in most cases turn on tail lights!!! Pet peeve of mine.

How's that old saying go? Wipers on=lights on, something like that!

Still, all in all, if you're worried about it there's a position on the headlight knob for one click and the markers are on. All the markers.

Nope. Not the same. That first click puts on the parking lamps (max 125 candela, not anywhere near bright enough to serve effectively as DRLs). The linked article in this thread, and the Freightliner trucks etc., burn the front turn signals as DRLs. They're much brighter than the parking lamps, bright enough to do the job. Also, driving with just parking lamps is illegal in many states. Also, you don't want your taillamps on in daylight. It reduces the on/off contrast of your brake lights, making them less effective. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about when I mention implementation-related disadvantages. I could lecture about it for pages, but it'd put y'all to sleep.

JD340 is absolutely right - one of the BIG disadvantages of headlight-based DRL systems is they lull drivers into thinking their car has automatic headlights...they drive around at night and in bad weather with just their DRLs. Tons of glare, no side- or rear-visibility.

-
Back