"Drop-in" Retro hyd roller lifters

-

mopar4x4stroker

Reaction score
I'm new to the whole roller cam so bare with me and my ignorance lol. The cam will be 228 538-548 on a 112 or 113 lsa. I guess my question is, who makes the best lifters that will literally drop right in and suit my application?

I've been looking at comp/crane/lunati/herbert/hughes, but is there other options you might suggest? Who makes the best ones? Whats better bushed bores or smaller base circle or shorter lifter? I'm guessing smaller base since a shorter lifter will have less support but will also be lighter and less chance of oil chamfer exposer and better rod geometry. Were a bushed bore.... well I'm not really sure what the con is to that other than cost, but using a longer lifter that would require bushed bores would also hinder pushrod geometry and clearance as well as add extra weight?

There isn't any disadvantage to a smaller base circle compared to a similar spec hyd flat tappet is there? I guess I dont really need to worry about geometry and weight so much since this will be for a low revving stroker (6k rpm max). I'm just trying to compare pros and cons both in price and performance as well as fit.

Thanks

I've been using the Comp cams pieces since they came out a few years ago, not issues. I've done 3 track events with them if thats worth anything and so far they are fine.

I think you're confusing a couple things between solid rollers and hydraulic rollers:
Solids get the bushings (or should IMO). Solids have the tie bar interference: mildly on standard LA blocks, terribly on MP aftermarket performance blocks. Solids may have a pushrod angle slightly worse than flat tappets, or not. Solids have solid body or lightened (witht he large cutout).
Hydraulics have the smaller base circle. Hydraulics have the severe pushrod angle.
Both have with and without pressure fed axles.
I have not used the retro hydraulic rollers. I've only used factory hydraulic roller/Magnum blocks or built for a solid roller. So I can't give you brand specific. But IMO, for a hydraulic roller lifter, I would try to avoid planned use of a small base circle because it will ultimately limit your cam choices to custom grinds. Some blocks mandate it because of the machining, but if it was me, I'd consider that last resort. I don't think you can go wrong with Comp or Howards. For yours I'd say Comps should be fine but that's more of an educated guess as I haven't run them. Also make sure teh pushrods are 5/16 (and top quality) and if the pushrod holes in the heads are small, you may need to clearance them so mock things up before you get too involved in the assembly.

-
Back