Not open for further replies.

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
102   0   0
Contact seller
Hi all, Im looking to add some more hp on dads 67 cuda. It has a nice running and sounding 273 4 bl. Just not enuf power.
So im looking at different options. I would like to do the swap over a weekend, give a day or 2.
In order to do the swap I need to borrow a buddies garage to do it in. My garage is so jammed right now there simply isnt enuf room to do a rebuilld on my 340 or to keep the cuda in over the weekend. Plus buying a running "drop in" would be quicker.
With the running 273 I obviously have all commando pieces and required brackets pulleys for 67 setup. It currently has LD4B intake and I have 4 bl carbs.
Currently it has 904 with no known issues.
Not sure how much this is gonna cost, but it would be nice to have around 300 + hp.
I have cash and lots of parts for trade. NOT lots of cash, I said parts lol.
Ideas/suggetions?
Oh car has factory 8 3/4 sg with 323
Thanks
Steve

I will have a mini stroker 318 done here in a week or so. SHould be around 300-320hp. if interested pm me.

My concern with that would be a direct bolt in? I want the engine bay to look period correct. Brackets pulleys timing cover ps pump etc. Will the front pieces of 273 swap over?
yes, but the 360 will need to use it's own harmonic balancer

I've just had the flex plates balanced, that way you can use a converter from a 318/340
got a 360 9.5. flat tops x heads 3 angle vale job harden seats double roller chain full groove bearings m1 intake 484 284 camh.v oil pump can it it run in a 67 dart gt 273 car 2800.00 motor has about 8600 miles on it

Even if the drop in has correct oil pan, etc.., you'll still have the torque convertor fit issue.
Some will include motor mount bracket and convertor balance issues also.
Then the 273 and convertor you pulled becomes more clutter.

Does a 318 have same motor mounts?
Im not looking for high hp. 300 hp maybe?? A 340 is too much $ plus I have one on a stand that needs a build (for the 69 vert)
I figured with the 2 sets of heads and 2 different intakes and using the "externals" from the 273, I may be able to get a "drop in" that gives me a 50+ hp increase over the course of a weekend.
I dont want to get into rebuilding a bottom end. Lack of room and take me 5 times the amount of time it should.
I hear you on the clutter too lol
Even if the drop in has correct oil pan, etc.., you'll still have the torque convertor fit issue.
Some will include motor mount bracket and convertor balance issues also.
Then the 273 and convertor you pulled becomes more clutter.

The 340/360 gets more complicated ( oil pan, motor mounts ). Later model 318 will be the closest to "drop in" all around. Differences at timing mark versus water pump outlet. Balancer versus pulley bolt holes. The more you can move from the 273 to the 318 the better.
Put a bushing in that larger crank register for your small nose convertor.
I just couldn't imagine you would toss out the original 273. I've got one under foot here too. Pull bar and socket lays right there with it to turn it at least every 2 weeks so it doesn't seize up.

Thanks for the info Ben!
The 273 in it is proper date code but not original. I have the original block as well.
Im wondering how much hp gain I would have in a 318 vs my 273
The 340/360 gets more complicated ( oil pan, motor mounts ). Later model 318 will be the closest to "drop in" all around. Differences at timing mark versus water pump outlet. Balancer versus pulley bolt holes. The more you can move from the 273 to the 318 the better.
Put a bushing in that larger crank register for your small nose convertor.
I just couldn't imagine you would toss out the original 273. I've got one under foot here too. Pull bar and socket lays right there with it to turn it at least every 2 weeks so it doesn't seize up.

At x dollars per 1 horse... Not enough to justify the cost in my opinion.

If your motor has the correct 10.5 piston in it just put a cam in it, If not then swap the motor. Just my 2 cents

I've used the motor mounts in 360 swaps, not that difficult. This is really pretty straight forward, especially if you stick with a 318.
318 in same spec will have about 50 more horsepower. Both in 2bbl form, 273 = 180 gross, 318 = 230 gross.
If you want "touch of the throttle" throw back compared to the 273, the 360 would give you the greatest grin.
Seriously, dropping a 360 in where a 273/318 sat is really pretty straight forward. If it's a car 360, just balance the flex plate (or buy one balanced) and your done. I put a 360 in one of my Dusters I have now, and used a flexplate I had balanced.

Hi all, Im looking to add some more hp on dads 67 cuda. It has a nice running and sounding 273 4 bl. Just not enuf power.
So im looking at different options. I would like to do the swap over a weekend, give a day or 2.
In order to do the swap I need to borrow a buddies garage to do it in. My garage is so jammed right now there simply isnt enuf room to do a rebuilld on my 340 or to keep the cuda in over the weekend. Plus buying a running "drop in" would be quicker.
With the running 273 I obviously have all commando pieces and required brackets pulleys for 67 setup. It currently has LD4B intake and I have 4 bl carbs.
Currently it has 904 with no known issues.
Not sure how much this is gonna cost, but it would be nice to have around 300 + hp.
I have cash and lots of parts for trade. NOT lots of cash, I said parts lol.
Ideas/suggetions?
Oh car has factory 8 3/4 sg with 323
Thanks
Steve
That is a real good base, a nice 360 4 barrel would sure liven things up, I bet you can find one real cheap from your local junk yard.

Its a 2bl with2bl pistons, LD4B, home spun port job on heads new comp cams kit 270s solid lifter (one notch above commando specs) double row timing chain and gears.
Im unsure of what stall the tc is. Stock 904 and 8 3/4.
If I was to drop in a 318 use the LD4B, I have a set of xheads with valves sitting on the shelf.
I then use the commando "cosmetics" from 273 to dress it up period correct.
The 273 runs good its just not got the commando pistons which seriously hurts it in my opinion?
Im open to ideas? Would like the swap done in a weekend and gain 50 HP
If your motor has the correct 10.5 piston in it just put a cam in it, If not then swap the motor. Just my 2 cents

Is the engine in the car, is it a commando engine or a 2 barrel engine?
67' Barracuda 273 (Camshaft Results at the Track)

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back