Drop Top Duster

-

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Many years ago I did a short stink with the Air Force at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey. You come across all sorts of cars, modified and otherwise overseas. It so happened at that time, somebody on the base had a Duster modified as a convertible. I never knew much about it, but it did look nice so I took a pic. I have no idea where it is now.

DUSTER1.JPG

Many years ago I did a short stink with the Air Force at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey. You come across all sorts of cars, modified and otherwise overseas. It so happened at that time, somebody on the base had a Duster modified as a convertible. I never knew much about it, but it did look nice so I took a pic. I have no idea where it is now.

View attachment 1715080267
I gotta say, that doesn't look half bad!

If they didn't reinforce the chassis, it probably looks like this now.

49242-empty-taco-shell.jpg

From what little I can see, it does look well-executed. I'd really like to see it with roof up

It was quite some time back when I spotted this car and took this pic. I wish I had taken a few more but I was on my way to the NCO Club for Happy hour. I DID look at it closely and I can say the door gaps were dead on. No sag or binding so the car was a real driver and wasn't bowing from the roof removal. Also, if I remember correctly, when I looked at the top mechanism (non-power), "Saab" came into my mind. Looked kinda like a modded Saab 900 assembly.... maybe. Not sure. Maybe you can't see them but the quarter windows appear to be partially rolled down. Another custom touch. Anyway, local Turkish mechanics and fabricators were top notch at what they did. For cheap money. This was not a hack job.

Last edited:
That looks a lot better than some of the modern verts. I'm thinking the "new" Buick and Murano for instance. Get a boot made and installed by an upholstery shop and you'd be a hit at the Mopar Nats or Carlisle.

-
Back