dropped nut down air gap help!!!!

-

The Furnace

Reaction score
I dropped a tiny nut down the air gap hole on my 360 LA Im sick about it where would it end up tried a little magnet but I dont want to make it go further. whats the solution. I'm sure im not the first knukle head to do this.

Put a light sock over the end of the shop vac so you can catch it.

I got you beat on this one I like 3 weeks ago had a nut and stud broke off the top of one of my HS rockers, went through the motor took out the intermediate shaft gear, and into the pan, I got lucky I still took off the manifold to look for it, first I used one of those Harbour freight camera's couldn't find it, that what I would suggest if you can't see it with that the manifold will have to come off and hopefully its not in one of your cylinders, better find it before you start it up though o your going to be in big trouble..

how tiny is this nut? if you pull the intake be careful to keep it level. too small a nut can possibly slip past an open valve.

maybe pull the rockers so all the valves are closed then pull the intake.

I just have manifolds on no exhuast so does the air gap go through the head into the area of the intake and exhaust valves? It was a nut for the BPE kickdown cable and throtle cable adaptor. like a 3/8 nut.

Maybe you should post a pic of where in the manifold you are describing....

how tiny is this nut? if you pull the intake be careful to keep it level. too small a nut can possibly slip past an open valve.

maybe pull the rockers so all the valves are closed then pull the intake.
So would it go into the valley under the intake or the exhaust ports?

If it fell down through the carby, then you are in trouble. If it just dropped into the space between the manifold and the valley, ( outside of engine) then your OK, it should be easy to find and can't get into the engine unless you have the distributor or rocker covers removed.

attachment.php

It would be the the upside down U shaped hole sown in the pic. where does it lead into?

yes with the intake on its exposed enough for a little nut to fall in. I'm so pissed I should have taped those off until the build was done!

Didnt try yet thinking about the shop vac with a panty hose over it. dont wanna jump the gun and make it worse.

The upside down horseshoe goes nowhere, The hole in the center of it leads into an exhaust port and could have gone right through it and fallen out onto the floor. Can't get into the engine with the valves closed. Cover the engine valley and dig around in there with a bit of wire with a hook bent into it.

Like stated your OK. That upside down U is an air space to keep the hot exhaust cross over from heating up the oil above it in the head, it is closed off.

-
Back