dropped spindles?

-
hey guys,it's me again.I was only looking for drop front spindles LOL But I wanted to thank you all for the wealth of knowledge I've gained during the posts, not sure at all what I want tod do now but I've been reading afew other posts about rack conversions but with the ackerman being "lost" I'm not sure what to think. I hate to open another can of worms but,,,,,,,let's just say the posts on this thread have been easy to follow and seem to be very insightful so let 'er go,,,,round two :boxing:

hey guys,it's me again.I was only looking for drop front spindles LOL But I wanted to thank you all for the wealth of knowledge I've gained during the posts, not sure at all what I want tod do now but I've been reading afew other posts about rack conversions but with the ackerman being "lost" I'm not sure what to think. I hate to open another can of worms but,,,,,,,let's just say the posts on this thread have been easy to follow and seem to be very insightful so let 'er go,,,,round two :boxing:

You might not even need dropped spindles. Could you answer some questions as best you can and I think I can help.

What is the distance from the top of the front tire wheel well lip to the ground right now on your car?

What size tires are you running on your car?

Do you have headers?

How low do you want to drop your car?

How low do you want the k-member to be off the ground?

What size T-bars are you running?

I have run my Barracuda low enough the K-member would smack a parking lot curb strip. But the car had 23.7 Diameter tires on it then.

You might not even need dropped spindles. Could you answer some questions as best you can and I think I can help.

What is the distance from the top of the front tire wheel well lip to the ground right now on your car?

What size tires are you running on your car?

Do you have headers?

How low do you want to drop your car?

How low do you want the k-member to be off the ground?

What size T-bars are you running?

I have run my Barracuda low enough the K-member would smack a parking lot curb strip. But the car had 23.7 Diameter tires on it then.
the dart sets 26 1/2" to the top of the wheel lip now,165R15,headers yes,I'd like to get it down to about 25" or so to the wheel lip,the k member is a moot point due to the 8 qt oil pan, and finally the t-bars seem to measure .900 . When I tubbed the car we set the rear end of the car down a little, now I have the torsion bars backed all the way out and adjusted the coil-over up in the back. I can actually set the car lower in the front with the torsion bars but it's not a very good feeling approaching a curve at any moderate speed.My plan is to use the dropped spindles to lower it and put more bar adjustment back in it to make the ride quality go back towrds stock if not better.

the dart sets 26 1/2" to the top of the wheel lip now,165R15,headers yes,I'd like to get it down to about 25" or so to the wheel lip,the k member is a moot point due to the 8 qt oil pan, and finally the t-bars seem to measure .900 . When I tubbed the car we set the rear end of the car down a little, now I have the torsion bars backed all the way out and adjusted the coil-over up in the back. I can actually set the car lower in the front with the torsion bars but it's not a very good feeling approaching a curve at any moderate speed.My plan is to use the dropped spindles to lower it and put more bar adjustment back in it to make the ride quality go back towrds stock if not better.

If you've got an 8 qt pan on there I wouldn't go very much lower. How far is the pan off the ground now? You're just asking for trouble if you go very low. You have 165/70/15's, is that correct? Thats 24.7 diameter, so you should have plenty of bump stop travel without dropped spindles.

If you lowered it before and it handled weird, did you have it professionally re-aligned after that?? What was/is you caster settting??

Sounds like your car is raised in the rear. When you run a car with a big rake it will handle weird. I bet there wasn't much postive caster left in it after you lowered the front. Did the steering feel light? And sort of wanders going into a turn/curve??

I don't see the dropped spindle help much. The deep sump pan is going to keep you from lowering it much anyway. I think you could have an alignment issue.

You need offset upper control arm bushings moog 7103 install for more caster or some tubular upper control arms. That will offset the rake you put into the car.

After you get the ride height you want you need 2-3 degrees OR more positve caster.

first off,no the car is not raised,,,,,we moved the new frame rails up to "lower the rear end of the body down,2nd,the oil pan now sets 4 1/2" off the floor,,,,,3rd,,the rake of the car right now is 2 dgrees out of level,,,4th ,,I agree the car will need an alignment but if I use the t-bars tolower it any more the front end won't be firm enough to drive on the roadways around my area,ie hills with curves in them,not all of us drive on flat lots, slaloming cones and such,lol

-
Back