Dropping my 318 out need help

-

amzchad

Reaction score
Well the time has come and I am dropping my engine out the bottom. I am going to paint the engine compartment and the engine. While I have it out to replace the pan gasket.

Got Any tips for dropping it k frame and all?

Looking for a one piece oil pan gasket for a 318 for my 72 swinger where can I get one?

Thanks. Chad

just unload the suspension and such+trans K if removing together.

shocks, upper arms, torsion bars come out, steering yoke, engine ground etc

How are you going to do this, step by step?

i think im just gonna pull it out of the top. Can i unbolt the tranny from the engine while its in the car?

yeah, just pull the inspection plate underneath and remove 4 bolts from the flex plate/convertor then bell housing bolts and the rest of the obvious.

its funny when inexperienced people tell people how to do things. Glad you jumped in wild and crazy.

if you come out the top pull the distributor first so it doesnt hit the firewall. ask me how i know.

We took eevverything off the ranger. Then we hot the inner fenders repolished. Cleaned the engine bay. Drivetrain. Tranny rebuilt. And cleaned up the frame

You can, but don't have to.

Last three I did with the hood on, just keep the chain short.
if i recall,dont you have concrete to roll the cherry picker on?i dont have that luxury out here in the stix lol.im rollin on dirt,i find its just eaiser for me to pull the hood,even though your right about not having to

Chad, I've done the removal from underneath. Someone asked me off-line how I got the K-frame & V-8 swap accomplished on my 72 Demon (Check out the thread). I had seen pictures in magazines of cars on lifts with the engine, transmission, steering, & K-frame all assembled waiting for the body to be lowered on to it. Since it's impossible to paint the engine compartment with the engine installed, this was a big deal. I had horsed LA V-8s with the oil filter adapter out of the top before. They always scraped the passenger side splash shield. Assembly from below made the best sense.
Well, I didn't have a lift for the body, so I used a field expedient. I had a free rolling platform on which the K-frame et al was assembled. I had two jack stands and an engine hoist. Unfortunately I did not take pictures. The car was supported on the rear axle by the jack stands. I rigged the engine hoist to lift the car at the vertical strut that is under the hood latch. Then it was a matter of disconnecting front brake lines, top shock mounts, steering column, upper control arms, and of course the 4 bolts on the K-frame. The car tilted up the the old stuff fell out.
Since there was no engine in the car when I got it, it had to be raised further. The engine hoist had plenty of lift height. I slid the assembly under the car and slowly began to lower. The dipstick from the 904 was going to try to hang up the operation, so I removed it. Other than that it was smooth going. I lowered until I got the body about 1/4 inch from the K-frame. I put two bolts (left front & right rear) through the K-frame to the body using this process sliding the dolly around until both lined up, to get the K-frame properly aligned with the body. Once I had the two bolts lined up, the others were no problem. I let the tension out of the lift and bolted the K-frame onto the body.
Once everything was disconnected, the actual time of lifting and bolt twisting on the K-frames was a one man job that took only twenty minutes. I felt it was safer than having a motor swinging around three feet in the air. Also I did not need to take the hood off.
Good luck.

well i think since i am painting the engine and compartment and doing a oil pan gasket i might as well pull it out of the top

a member by the name of bruce here helped me out with step by step instructions (thanks)

im gonna go out the top

if i recall,dont you have concrete to roll the cherry picker on?i dont have that luxury out here in the stix lol.im rollin on dirt,i find its just eaiser for me to pull the hood,even though your right about not having to
lol - true shadetree mechanic. It's been a while for me but when I was in that situation I just lifted the engine/tranny and rolled the car back.

Ho boy!
I thought I heard my name echoing around in here! Chad I hope you printed out the instructions I gave you in PM the other day. Also, like I advised: 2 person job with your experience level PLEASE. Heed the distributer advice above too. I wish I was close enough to oversee your 1st pull.

Also consider all new soft/freeze plugs while you have it out.

At ANY point you have any doubts or questions about what you are doing: STOP, call me.

Later,
Bruce B.

and remember if it doesnt come out easily check again something needs attention. dont force it. we all forget things,it just takes time and patience

Well the time has come and I am dropping my engine out the bottom. I am going to paint the engine compartment and the engine. While I have it out to replace the pan gasket.

Got Any tips for dropping it k frame and all?

Looking for a one piece oil pan gasket for a 318 for my 72 swinger where can I get one?

Thanks. Chad

Don't think anyone makes a one piece pan gasket for an LA but the one piece from the magnum 5.2 will work with a mod. The LA oil pan has notches on the front end where the pan rail meets the part that goes around the bottom of the front cover. The magnum does not so naturally the 1 piece magnum gasket does not have the added material on those corners. Save your old front seal and cut off the part that fits into the notched area and trim it to fit under the magnum gasket then use RTV to seal it up. Works like a champ.

Larry

-
Back