Drove the race car home!

-
No real goals for now. Shes just a fun grocery getter, stoplight assassin and new muscle car crusher.

I haven't had a chance to launch the car yet. Destroyed the driver side leaf spring from a roll on the first drive. Got to order a new leaf and try again.

I just talked to a trany builder that wants a cage built so trying to work out a labor trade, one cage for one bad *** 904.
remember you can rebuild that 904 yourself for just the parts cost they are as simple or more simple than your Holley carburetors.

remember you can rebuild that 904 yourself for just the parts cost they are as simple or more simple than your Holley carburetors.
That is a topic that I will be reading about very soon. I need to take my transmission (that I just learned is a 999 not a 904 like I have thought for the last 15 years) apart and clean and insect it really good

I already rebuilt the 904 once, the cheep TCI kit can suck it...

This way I get a new TC, Trans brake and all the good stuff.

The engine never went to dyno, but it's making realy good power.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, I kinda knew something was gonna let go. Just didn't think it would be so soon or happen from a roll out but it is what it is..

What's your thought on slapper bars?
You think that would help the SS springs live a little longer? I dont wanna be changing springs after each hit....

In hind sight I should have back halved and four linked the dam thing but for now I'm kinda stuck trying to make the leafsprings work...

Thanks for the time and advice.

Yeah, I kinda knew something was gonna let go. Just didn't think it would be so soon or happen from a roll out but it is what it is..

You think that would help the SS springs live a little longer? I dont wanna be changing springs after each hit....

In hind sight I should have back halved and four linked the dam thing but for now I'm kinda stuck trying to make the leafsprings work...

just an FYI I wasn't necessarily recommending the slapper bars I was just saying that's what I've used because probably that's what I had. I would have probably put a pinion snubber had I built a Dana to accommodate one, but yet I think it was triple-r that had the good idea of just putting something coming off the floor board with a rubber nub on it to hit your opinion?

Also remember if you do try that like I was saying you might have to add some to the right side cuz it'll probably hang down lower because of the differents in the springs. I have an extra set of chrome Chevy ones but they're not long enough to go over the bottom shackle and I don't think long enough they would end up hitting where you don't want them to wait where your band is. If they're too short they're not going to help they're going to hurt.
Honestly and my honest honest opinion if I had all the welding and machine stuff available to me that you do I would have long ago Built My Own caltracs.

With this being a "street" car I'm leaning more towards the slappers.

Just not sure how they pair with the SS springs.

Also remember if you do try that like I was saying you might have to add some to the right side cuz it'll probably hang down lower because of the differents in the springs. I have an extra set of chrome Chevy ones but they're not long enough to go over the bottom shackle and I don't think long enough they would end up hitting where you don't want them to wait where your band is. If they're too short they're not going to help they're going to hurt.
Honestly and my honest honest opinion if I had all the welding and machine stuff available to me that you do I would have long ago Built My Own caltracs.

Yeah pops was just saying that this morning. The only thing is I can buy the slappers for less than the cost of the rod ends...

At one tine in the 1980's I had a pinion snubber on mine but then lowered it and used it more for a safety device. Tracks and tires were piss-poor back then compared to today but I did run 9.82 with 002 and 003 springs. Back then back halving cars was VERY expensive. My 1974 Duster would hook great till late Sunday afternoons in the summer. My Son in the front of this quad will be 30 in December. LOL. I hate to say it but I think something in your car wasn't set-up right.

27652226508_5762c0d00f_c.jpg
Norwalk many years ago 001 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

24198808717_40691d57c2_c.jpg
74 Duster at Halloween classic 001 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

With this being a "street" car I'm leaning more towards the slappers.

Just not sure how they pair with the SS springs.
well they work in conjunction with the spring and the wrap if it wraps quick like the stock spring it's probably going to slap quick and I assume the other way with a stronger spring it's not going to react as fast.

Could be I screwed up somewhere.. .

I'm gonna throw another 150 dollar spring at it and see. If it fails again well then out comes the death wheel.
There's not much I cant fix with a cut off wheel and the welder.

:rofl:

Sure, engine is a 360 cubic inchish V8. Fuel air mixing is handled by two carbs.
Foot break, leaving off a two step at a preset RPM.:poke:

Shoot almost forgot, hopefully leaving the foot break in favor of a trans brake and a little more stall.

There now you got the inside scoop.

Sure, engine is a 360 cubic inchish V8. Fuel air mixing is handled by two carbs.
Foot break, leaving off a two step at a preset RPM.:poke:

Shoot almost forgot, hopefully leaving the foot break in favor of a trans brake and a little more stall.

There now you got the inside scoop.

Wow!! That's pretty elaborate!! Thanks alot.:rolleyes:

-
Back