drum brake springs

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
I dread working on drum brakes,, I have never figured out the right tool or technique for getting the long springs off and on without busting my knuckles.
I did see a thread on removing the clutch pedal return spring by extending the spring then inserting washers in the coils,, would that work on drum springs,, what would happen if I stepped on the brake pedal with the drums off to extend the springs then had someone insert washers in the coils,, would the shoe assembly over-extend,, break - bend something?
thanks

Have you purchased common spring tools ? I've got a total of 4 tools used to service drum brake hardware. Nothing more needed.

yep, I agree, the one "brake" tool I bought, I never figured out how to use properly,,

it has a piviot point, two handles,, on the end of one handle has a fitting that is used to compress the short springs that actually hold the shoes,, understand how to use that end,, its the rest of the tool, if this is the correct one and the the large spring that causes my grief,, I end up using a set of linesman pliers and pull and tug to no end.

That scissor like combination tool is ok for some springs but the one piece individual tools are much better.
There is a certain amount of technique required that comes from experience. Instructer at a brake school can show you how but it still takes practice.

found this, not brake school, but showed me how to use the tool I have to remove / re install the top spring

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOvSH-mLhRE&feature=related"]YouTube - Replacing Drum Brake Shoes Part 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMUq6bJ1Py8&feature=channel"]YouTube - Replacing Drum Brake Shoes Part 2[/ame]

That will help you. I wont nit-pick the guys video because techniques do vary. Part designs vary too.
A small cable is more common that the connecting rod shown there. When there is a cable there is a cable guide. It's half moon shaped sheetmetal and has a small neck that fits into the hole of the shoe. First make sure the neck is there and not distorted or worse. Make sure the neck goes in the hole so the guide sits flat against the shoe.
The upper end of the cable goes on the spring post first. It has a flat side that goes to the back. Drape the loose end of the cable over the brake linning out of your way. Use a thumb to hold the cable guide in place while installing the spring on the post.
Once that much looks good you can bring the loose end of the cable down and place the cable in the guide.
One thing that bothers me about that video. The guy stuck a finger through that hole between the wheel studs.Not sure why. No problem for him but.... that was a hub mounted spindle and not an axle.
Under the right shade tree with nuts around, you could get a finger broke.
And I still prefer the single piece spring tool over the scissor type. That scissor type is just to cumbersome for me. Have fun.

-
Back