Drum brake upgrade

-

Den's Dart

Reaction score
Guys, I apologize in advance if I missed anything already discussed but I didn't find anything to answer my question other than MAJOR upgrades.

I have a 70 Dart "swinger" I say "Swinger" because it started life as a basic /6 car that someone P.O. cloned. Anyways, it has the small drums all around. I am on a VERY tight budget (bloody wife and kids wanna eat occasionally!) so I am wondering what (if anything) can be done to upgrade the performance of the brakes on the cheap? I relaize I need to go through them with a fine tooth comb but while I am tearing into them I am wondering what I may be able to add or tweak to imporove the performance.

Sure eventually I would love to convert to discs but as I said it isn't in the cards right now. Not expecting the thing to stop on a dime but perhaps on a football field would be good!

Thoughts and suggestions anyone?

Dennis

If you plan to have power discs in the future, you could add the booster assy. now to lessen the pedal effort. Other than that, anything else would be a waste of time, effort and money unless you have a complete 10 drum brake setup just sitting in your garage. If you choose to keep it manual brakes, you could put a master cylinder with a smaller diameter bore. This will also lessen the effort needed to stop the car.

-
Back