drum brakes

-

bignasty123

Reaction score
1966 dart i have all new drums and hardware...so with adjusting them i made the front t where it spins 1 revolution...now with the back brakes do i want them to spin more or less or same slack..thanks

t where it spins 1 revolution

Not sure what that means, but am guessing maybe you backed off 1 turn on the adjuster after it was a bit tight. Maybe you mean it spins 1 rev before grabbing. Anyway, I adjust them loose enough that the wheels spin freely with no drag at all. I then back up and stop hard multiple times to let the self-adjusters do their job. You should feel the pedal free-play decrease as they adjust. New pads usually have a little drag until they wear to match the drum exactly.

t where it spins 1 revolution

Not sure what that means, but am guessing maybe you backed off 1 turn on the adjuster after it was a bit tight. Maybe you mean it spins 1 rev before grabbing. Anyway, I adjust them loose enough that the wheels spin freely with no drag at all. I then back up and stop hard multiple times to let the self-adjusters do their job. You should feel the pedal free-play decrease as they adjust. New shoes have a little drag until they wear to match the drum exactly.

cool so i adjusted the brakes to tight...i ment i revolution of the tire....ill loosen them and maybe the wont lock them up when brak hard

with a single pot master cylinder set them all the same on drag, no drag
is the way to go, get them even and your front will indeed grab first...
the brake line length take care of the front working first... soft touch
will let the front engage first, a hard hit on the peddle will engage all 4 ..
.... Victoria does this for me because they are set even..

-
Back