Drum Spindle Vs Disc Spindle?

-
S

SealockRacing

is there any way to tell them apart? if so, how?

my dad is not sure if he has the drum spindles on his cuda, or the disc spindles.

we cant go by what brakes are on it, seeing as its a wilwood kit from the 80's.

he had to have the hub machined down, but the spindle is still good, but we are missing the calipers, so im most likely going to have to buy a new front kit from jegs or summit, and i need to know if it has the drum spindle, or the disc spindle.

any help would be appreciated!

I'm not positive but i think the disk spindles have the braket for the caliper to mount and the drum spindles have little relifes in them for the wheel cyl. to clear.

It would be easy to tell if they were 9" drum spindles because the balljoint bolts are smaller that the 10" drum and disc spindles. Other than that I have not had the spindles side by side to see what the differences are.

Chuck

oh alright, ill pull a disk off and take a look, im sure it cant be hard to distinguish them

the drum have 4 holes in a somewhat square pattern. the disc spindle will have two hole in alignment of each other at about a 45* angle. the 9" spindle looks like it was twisted 90* at the upper balljoint.

First photo: a-body 9" drum spindle on the left, 10" drum spindle on the right.

Second photo: a-body large bolt pattern disc spindle

3410.jpg

4922_1.jpg

Don't buy a whole kit, unless you really want to. Contact Wilwood and give them the application. Or just a few measurements and they will set you up with new calipers. A bit cheaper then the whole shebang.

Don't buy a whole kit, unless you really want to. Contact Wilwood and give them the application. Or just a few measurements and they will set you up with new calipers. A bit cheaper then the whole shebang.

really?

cause the rotors will need to be sanded, or machined a tad but thats no biggy.

so i could just give them measurements of what? the bolt spacing, size of the holes, thickness of the rotor, and tell them what car, and they could hook me up pretty much?

if thats the case, than that would be awesome!

let me know what kind of measurements i would need to email them, and i will shoot them an email and see what they come up with, and what kind of pricing they could work up.

thanks so much guys!

You should need the thickness of the rotor, and the measurement of the caliper bracket. Typically 3.5 inches or 5.25 mounting center to center. They might even just be able to pull it up from applications previously on file.

well, i havent updated this thread in a while, but i did find those calipers.

they were for the most part complete, but do need some things

so when i make my first purchase from summit, i will be getting 8 of the 1.75" Pistons they sell for wilwood calipers, which is the size piston that should be in them after measuring. i will also be getting a few sets of the 1.75 O-ring kit from wilwood. and some brake fluid to finish it up.

the hardware is all there, all tubes, all bleeders everything, and we have brand new stainless braded flex lines, so we have it all.

ohhh i forgot, we do need a set of pads, i have 2 pads to go by, which is just enough for one caliper. i guess ill be taking some measurements tommorow at work, and see what i can find, hopefully something universal.

ill snap a few pics and put them in my project thread found here
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=27189

i just need to buy a camera charger soon, maybe i will on my way to work tommorow so i can get these pics up.

thanks for all the help, and dont stop giving it out :D

Are they superlites? or dynalites? All you should have to do is give the model name and they will list the pad selection.

i dont know, they are from the early 80's or maybe even the 70's.

they came off of my grandfathers old black 330 he had. my dad got them when my grandfather totaled the car. machined the brackets and stuff, and got them working.

ill post up some pictures of them. all i know is that the were anodized gold, along with all the brackets and stuff and the wilwood logo is sticking out instead of being punched in.

-
Back