Drum to Disc Swap

-

bcseydel

68 Dart GT Conv. 340/727
Reaction score
I bought a donor car last week (75 Duster) and I started the teardown yesterday. Of course I beat the heck out of the lower ball joint and the upper will be replaced as well. I plan to use the upper control arms, spindles, rotors, calipers, and disc's with new parts as needed. A member comment from a previous post has my interest.
"If you are unsure, get a complete parts car that hasn't been altered in any way and use the entire front end set up for the swap, then you order the parts necessary for the car that was the donor and it would be spot on."
How about it? The Duster is a 6 cylinder and Dart(1968 ) a V8. Will the entire Duster suspension fit the Dart? Is it a good idea?
Thanks

It should fit. I am trying to think when I did my swap, what I needed... You need the UCA (with ball joint), spindles, calipers/lines, and lower ball joints.

In the process of doing this swap now. I used all 73 + parts. Parts you need are

-spindles
-upper control arms
-calipers
-rotors
-proportioning valve

Also now is a perfect time to do new ball joints and replace bushings, maybe turn/replace rotors and rebuild/replace old calipers

I would use everything in the front end including the steering box minus the k-member and torsion bars if your car is a V-8 already.
Then order parts for a '75 Duster, because, in effect your front suspension and steering is a '75 Duster now.
The only glitch you might run in to is the hole in the welded on tabs on the frame where the newer style brake hoses go through and connect to the hard line might be a bit smaller on the older car, you just have to file it for the clearance.
Don't forget to use the proportioning valve and the master cylinder and rod out of the donor car too.
I would rebuild everything that is a wear item for safety reasons.
I've done this swap several times, and it's the way to go.

Man this is expensive, I hope I can make a few bucks on the Duster parts.
Dartnut it was your previous post on the conversion that got me thinking. It makes sense, same dimensions just some differences and a bit newer. Plus I was thinking about going back to power steering. It will be more comfortable with the new 60 series tires. The pitman from the Duster is different and I think the 75 shaft is larger (1 1/4" versus 1 1/8"?). I change everything over and I dont have to pay for a new pitman.
I started with the rear end. I hate drum brakes and getting the e-brake cable out of the backing plate is a pain. Just bolts right in!!!!!!
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the help.
Craig

-
Back