Drums don't fit??

-

Viceroy125

Reaction score
9" inch drums all the way around. 73 Plymouth duster. The rear drums have been turned to 9.1" and they are barely big enough to fit over the pads and you can not turn the tire at all once everything is bolted down. The brake assembly is all correct. Do I have the wrong pads or what's going on cause the front ones fit like a charm!

Make sure the shoes are tight against the top pin Your cables may be frooze. Just because the handles released doesn't mean the shoes are retracted.

9.1" diameter is beyond specs. You really should buy new drums. That won't help your current no-fit problem though. It may be the E-brake cable has been adjusted up too tight. If the adjuster is backed off all the way and the shoes are up against the upper anchor, you may have the wrong parts in there somewhere. Did you put a new hardware kit in it? Make sure the adjuster and other hardware matches your old parts. Post a good photo of the assembly.....maybe we can spot something.

I spose in this day and age it could be "defective" shoe lining, IE Chineseo, or "they" forgot how to "do" shoes

It should be easy to check some things. If the shoes are retracted against the top pin on the backing plate, you can forget pushrod/ cylinder problems, and concentrate on the bottom adjuster

You still have the old shoes to carefully compare? If you are using the same adjusters, this should be easy to verify.

I agree the drums are gone. The "default" standard for passenger throwaway is .060. The larger the drums get, not only do they get thin, but the brake shoes then only contact the CENTER area of the shoe, and so you reduce the effective area of the shoes/ drums. They will NEVER stop effectively that way, partly bacause of the fit, but also because now this center area of the shoe is doing all the work, gets overheated and GLAZES the lining

You didn't by chance get a real old set of shoes that have been sitting on the shelf for 30-40 years did you? Back then, you could get shoes with extra thick lining so you could re-arc them to match the I.D. of the drum. Other than that, it may just be an assembly problem. Post a photo.....

I would suspect your emergency brake cable not retracting all the way. Check to see if it's free and not all rusted up. Good luck.

10" shoes on a 9" drum set up maybe? Would seem to be the problem to me.. if they're backed off all the way and still won't work...

I remember being in this situation on one of my Dusters before. What i did find was the pads have a place they are supose to fit. The front and rear pads are different i think. Does one side fit? Look em over real good. Tell me what you find.
Small Block

Well terrific news!! I ordered a new pair from car quest and got the pads in yesterday. Swapped out the other new pair and the drum slipped on like a glove! Thank you all for helping me and before I end this I would suggest to people when redoing they're brake system go with bendix brakes! Cause they're the ones got me back on track. So before you just buy a set of new pads make sure it's bendix they actually care about the customer and how thick the pads need to be. Thank you once again!!

Well terrific news!! I ordered a new pair from car quest and got the pads in yesterday. Swapped out the other new pair and the drum slipped on like a glove! Thank you all for helping me and before I end this I would suggest to people when redoing they're brake system go with bendix brakes! Cause they're the ones got me back on track. So before you just buy a set of new pads make sure it's bendix they actually care about the customer and how thick the pads need to be. Thank you once again!!

What were the ones that did NOT fit? Glad you got 'er fixed.

I believe they were called brakes best?? But I'll double check and on my driver side front won't fit either so I'm gnna order Bendix again and I used a different brand on the front as well so I'll figure out what kind they are as well!

I believe they were called brakes best?? But I'll double check and on my driver side front won't fit either so I'm gnna order Bendix again and I used a different brand on the front as well so I'll figure out what kind they are as well!

So far as I'm concerned, the ONLY thing to buy for brake parts is "old brand names" like Wagner, Raybestos, and in this area, I don't think I've even seen Bendix.

I do realize that in this O'Really world of car parts, that's getting harder to do

So far as I'm concerned, the ONLY thing to buy for brake parts is "old brand names" like Wagner, Raybestos, and in this area, I don't think I've even seen Bendix.

Well bendix is the brand and they are legit! And I hate to tell you this I had wagners on the front and brakes best on the back(oreilys brand) and my drums would not fit over! I used bendix each drum is slipping on like a glove.

Well bendix is the brand and they are legit! And I hate to tell you this I had wagners on the front and brakes best on the back(oreilys brand) and my drums would not fit over! I used bendix each drum is slipping on like a glove.

I didn't state that very well. I know full well that Bendix is an old traditional brand. It's just that "up here" in this area, I don't remember anyone distributing Bendix for automotive applications.

But even Bendix had it's early failures. Bendix electrical teamed up with some morons known unflatteringly as "Piddle and Diddle." (P&D). Back then, my Dad owned a parts store, and the "main warehouse" he delt with got rid of ???Standard??? and went P&D. WHAT A MESS. This was in the mid '70's, and some/ most of the crap was made in Mexico. The points were SO bad that you could take a box of GM V8 points, press straight down on the pivot, and the whole points arm would slide to the bottom of the pivot!!!.

We had to help pay towing for a customer of a small service shop. Dad was pissed, and went to another warehouse, went right back to Standard.

Well I guess I'll find out soon if bendix is worth the faith I've put towards into them now. Haha

-
Back