Dual Exhaust Help (64 Dart GT Vert, 273 2bbl)

-

Rhetor

Reaction score
Working on my project car and trying to finish it up next week to get it on the road . . . 64 Dart GT Vert, 273 2bbl for now).

the old original single exhaust is swiss cheese! So, want to go ahead and put dual exhaust (yeah, will be cutting a notch in the crossmember).

Looking for ideas on the right exhaust? (Got a local shop that will bend pipes for me). Looking for some sound even though with the 273 2bbl, kind of a mini-muscle sound.

Suggestions?

Here is a pic . . .

IMAG0130.jpg

Well my friend I would you suggest you consider the hipo exhaust setup. That's what I am running on my 64 vert (273 4 barrel) Got the Y pipe, intermediate pipe and resonantor from Accurate Ltd. The pipe over the axle was done by an exhaust shop. I am running a Flowmaster. It has a really nice sound and gives me the exact back pressure that is needed to help with low end torque. I've had a lot of positive coments about the exhaust tone and when I tell them it's a single system they can beleive it.

Well my friend I would you suggest you consider the hipo exhaust setup. That's what I am running on my 64 vert (273 4 barrel) Got the Y pipe, intermediate pipe and resonantor from Accurate Ltd. The pipe over the axle was done by an exhaust shop. I am running a Flowmaster. It has a really nice sound and gives me the exact back pressure that is needed to help with low end torque. I've had a lot of positive coments about the exhaust tone and when I tell them it's a single system they can beleive it.

Seen your car . . . love it! Why did you go with single instead of dual exhaust?

Well my friend I would you suggest you consider the hipo exhaust setup. That's what I am running on my 64 vert (273 4 barrel) Got the Y pipe, intermediate pipe and resonantor from Accurate Ltd. The pipe over the axle was done by an exhaust shop. I am running a Flowmaster. It has a really nice sound and gives me the exact back pressure that is needed to help with low end torque.

It probably sounds quite similar to the OEM HiPo system and one of the sweetest sounding exhausts put out by any manufacturer.

I've had a lot of positive coments about the exhaust tone and when I tell them it's a single system they can beleive it.

Yep, most people can't believe it's only a single exhaust!

Your best bet is always the original 273 manifolds. I'm running true duals with flowmaster knockoffs. All bent up in 2" by a local custom exhaust shop. All parts, all labor under $450. Accurate is certainly nice...but pricey. I think they wanted $200 for the front Y Pipe only.

i've got shorty headers, duals, and flowmaster 40 series mufflers, with cutouts. If i had to do it again I'd get a quieter muffler. the 40's are a little too boomy and resonant for my tastes, but everyone comments on how good it sounds. Personally i'd rather have it a little quieter and keep the cutouts for makin it loud, but thats cause I prefer it to be more of a sleeper, and with these mufflers, I'm sure not sneaking up on anyone haha!
-Tim

Check out TTI. They may have what you need. I bought the Accurate Hi-po system. I hope to hear it in a month or so when I get everything together and running. toolman

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/ComponentParts/ExhaustParts.htm#ep

http://www.accurateltd.com/A-Body-HiPo-Exhaust-System_p_195.html

Mike,

Be sure to post up a YouTube of that beast running. I am jealous you will beat me to the key turn on that 273!! I just checked out the TTI site and if I go that route, I will definitely send them my crossmember for the modifications. I am not very handy with a welder... Curious, what made you stick with the single exhaust?

I went with duals off the stock 273 manifolds.

I am using Dynomax Super Turbos that were on sale at Advance Auto parts
store locally.

I took the car to a local muffler shop and they did a nice job,
stock sized pipe to start and then necked up to 2 1/4".

I added some sound deadner under the rear seat,
to cut down on the interior resonance, and when i replaced the carpet,
I added more sound deadner to the rest of the floor.

headlinerproject64Valiant026Small.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8mci4rjFU"]YouTube- 1964 Valiant dual exhaust[/ame]

Mike,

Be sure to post up a YouTube of that beast running. I am jealous you will beat me to the key turn on that 273!! I just checked out the TTI site and if I go that route, I will definitely send them my crossmember for the modifications. I am not very handy with a welder... Curious, what made you stick with the single exhaust?

A few reasons I guess. It is original, it looks good, sounds good and works good. (And if you don't like the sound there is only one muffler to buy to change it) LOL Here's a couple videos. Mike
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVoRSqmPOk0"]YouTube- 1965 Barracuda with Accurate LTD exhaust[/ame]
[ame="http://video.yahoo.com/watch/6753864/17551942"]Valiant getting ready for winter on Yahoo! Video[/ame]

A few reasons I guess. It is original, it looks good, sounds good and works good. (And if you don't like the sound there is only one muffler to buy to change it) LOL Here's a couple videos. Mike

OK . . . Mike and all my single exhaust like stock exhaust friends . . . really sounds sweet with the quieter stock-like setup and looks like great materials . . . but . . . I, uh, . . . uh, I know the 273 is one the smallest 8 bangers ever made in the 60's . . . and I uh, I know it is an A body . . . an never even close to a muscle platform, especially since I am keeping the beloved 273 in it indefinitely (will eventually go to 4 bbl setup). . . but uh . . . I have to say uh . . . I kind of like Caveman's dual set up for a throaty sound . . . though I would skip the extra sound deadening because I am keeping the AM radio even though it gets only one local station . . . will have iPod buds in my ears for tunes . . .

My neighbor has 28 dogs, yes 28, and let's them bark a lot . . . I just feel I should bark a little back at 5:30 AM on occasion when I head out to work. :snakeman:

But, I am still coachable here . . . I had a dual system already figured out until you all started answering my questions and now I am on the fence . . . single or dual . . . dual or single?

I had shop bends and flowmasters in mind . . .

I really have to stop asking questions especially when I already have the answer I want, right or wrong, before asking! You guys are too knowledgable for my own good! :)

Why not install some spitfires with the TTI duals. It worked out terrific on my car, but then again I have a built 318 in it too. When I bought my TTI's they had them set up for attachment to the stock manifolds, which is what I wanted to start with. However, they would not bolt up because they bent the pipes for a manual trans set up, would not fit with my 904. Not sure if they made another set of head pipes up since then that work with the auto trans, that was a few years ago, maybe they fixed it. When I informed them they were not aware of the issue, maybe I was the first to tell them ? Otherwise the pipes fit excellent and are very well made, pretty good size pipes too, 2 1/2 " with an H in the middle. I liked the idea of installing it myself and not having to tow it to a shop for the pipe fabrication.

Rhetor, I/we don't want to be confusing just arm you with more info. If I had a different car I'm sure I would install a nice dual set-up. Mike

Rhetor, I/we don't want to be confusing just arm you with more info. If I had a different car I'm sure I would install a nice dual set-up. Mike

Ha! Ha! I am confused . . . but learning from you all! :)

. . . I really loved the sound on your setup . . . but I am shallow and want to see two pipes coming out . . . the mini-muscle feel and look. :)

I truely hope you are not planning on this. Its very simple to wire in a ipod and amp into the car.

I am cheap . . . and must confess that I do this . . . but I do have Bose in ears that bleed horn sounds from outside. :)

but do you have a pic or a parts setup you could recommend for an ipod/amp/speaker setup without destroying the interior of my 64 Dart GT Vert?

Not against doing that, just do not know what to do without destroying the original convertible interior . . . worn but still good.

Buy an adapter that will go from the Amp input to your Ipod, hook up your speakers to the amp, power the amp and BOOM, instant sound without destroying your dash. My car already had a system, but we tried it one day for another car project and it worked great.
This is the set-up I will run in my 31' Sedan!

Buy an adapter that will go from the Amp input to your Ipod, hook up your speakers to the amp, power the amp and BOOM, instant sound without destroying your dash. My car already had a system, but we tried it one day for another car project and it worked great.
This is the set-up I will run in my 31' Sedan!

Thanks . . . that much I know . . . got two 12 inch subs in my other car with a Boston Acoustics system . . . just wondering if you had pics for placement suggestions on a 64 Dart Vert.

-
Back