Dual point fun...

-

chewy

Some old guy...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The last time I bought points for the dual point was in 2002. The block had fallen off. I went to all the shops in town at the time. The Echlin CS721A were what I ended up with because they matched the points I took out of it perfectly, same heavy duty spring, same metal and all. Blue streakks at the time didn't have as strong a spring with thinmer and smaller contact area.

They've been adjusted twice since 2002. A little thin on one side this time around so time to get more.

So as I started my search, the website would only let me pick the CS721A2. Fine, it was supposed to come in a pair. Shipped straight from the standard motor parts warehouse in VA. Only one set was In the box and I need two matched and couldn't order another set.
20230913_152325.jpg

So I searched through the standard/echlin site found CS721A were available local, they just didn't show up in search results for the dart, they dont think they fit, but been running them for 21 years now.. Ordered a set to my closest store.

Opened them in the store to make sure they matched and two different sets, slightly lighter spring rate on the copper colored set. Heheheh. So have three sets, all different spring rates and metal. Silver has the strongest spring.
20230914_192232.jpg

They ordered in the other two CS721As that are in town and will end up with mached set tomorrow. If one copper and one silver will buy them both. I Have another dual point to get working as a spare.

The last time I bought points for the dual point was in 2002. The block had fallen off. I went to all the shops in town at the time. The Echlin CS721A were what I ended up with because they matched the points I took out of it perfectly, same heavy duty spring, same metal and all. Blue streakks at the time didn't have as strong a spring with thinmer and smaller contact area.

They've been adjusted twice since 2002. A little thin on one side this time around so time to get more.

So as I started my search, the website would only let me pick the CS721A2. Fine, it was supposed to come in a pair. Shipped straight from the standard motor parts warehouse in VA. Only one set was In the box and I need two matched and couldn't order another set.
View attachment 1716141854
So I searched through the standard/echlin site found CS721A were available local, they just didn't show up in search results for the dart, they dont think they fit, but been running them for 21 years now.. Ordered a set to my closest store.

Opened them in the store to make sure they matched and two different sets, slightly lighter spring rate on the copper colored set. Heheheh. So have three sets, all different spring rates and metal. Silver has the strongest spring.
View attachment 1716141853
They ordered in the other two CS721As that are in town and will end up with mached set tomorrow. If one copper and one silver will buy them both. I Have another dual point to get working as a spare.
@halifaxhops the rescue. He has all the old good stuff.

@halifaxhops has some of the good old ones that he sells and uses to restore distributors...

If you want a good set, contact him...
Thank You, I reached out and have a set of NOS ones on the way today with a NOS condenser.

@halifaxhops the rescue. He has all the old good stuff.
Yes, it seems he does.

I found the same thing, have them search Barracuda same model year.
I've had to shuffle years before, to find things like brake parts kits. Didn't think this time around to try Plymouth instead of Dodge. Thanks, will keep it in mind for the next round of parts searches.

Thank You, I reached out and have a set of NOS ones on the way today with a NOS condenser.
The new points aren't too bad although I had contact alignment issues with the last pair of parts store ones I bought. The new condensers are terrible quality. Terrible!

Last edited:
The new points aren't too bad although I had contact alignment issues with the last pair of parts store ones I bought. The new condensers are terrible quality. Terrible!
Get some plastic "orange drop" electronics condensers. You'll have to research what the dual point condensers are for value. (EDIT Just looked up in the 68 manual, a hemi cap is .25--.285 mfd, that is microfarads) I'd use at least 200V rating. Sprague is one brand, you can get them through Mouser electronics

What I do on the outboard is hacksaw the very top off the condenser and pull out the guts. Drill a hole in the side very close to the bottom, and scrape clean. Work one lead of the plastic cap through the hole so the cap is inside. Bend over and solder the lead to the can. Install some form of insulation, heat shrink, or even a sleeve made by stripping a short section of no 16 or no 14 scrap wire, to the remaining lead. Solder or crimp on an eyelet connector. I dont leave the plastic sleeve on the connector. Then dope up the cavity in the can with RTV or GOOP (You HAVE heard of GOOP, right?) to hold it in the can.

Get some plastic "orange drop" electronics condensers. You'll have to research what the dual point condensers are for value. (EDIT Just looked up in the 68 manual, a hemi cap is .25--.285 mfd, that is microfarads) I'd use at least 200V rating. Sprague is one brand, you can get them through Mouser electronics

What I do on the outboard is hacksaw the very top off the condenser and pull out the guts. Drill a hole in the side very close to the bottom, and scrape clean. Work one lead of the plastic cap through the hole so the cap is inside. Bend over and solder the lead to the can. Install some form of insulation, heat shrink, or even a sleeve made by stripping a short section of no 16 or no 14 scrap wire, to the remaining lead. Solder or crimp on an eyelet connector. I dont leave the plastic sleeve on the connector. Then dope up the cavity in the can with RTV or GOOP (You HAVE heard of GOOP, right?) to hold it in the can.
That's a smart way to have an alternative to low quality modern ones. If I can't ever find one that works, will tuck this into the bag of tricks, 'Just in case' for the future.

Fyi, I do have a tube of goop that I've used once or twice to keep the soles on my shoes...

Last edited:
-
Back