Dual Quad SB

-

dodge freak

Reaction score
Check it out, dual 500 Carters on a Edelbrock D66 intake. That intake has not been made since the 70's but a for a few motors, like the BB Mopar its still available new.

Motor runs nice, idles great and power is great. I say a bit BETTER than my RPM intake and Demond 650 DP carb. Idles a bit better too, like when cold. Both Carter carbs have no choke or vacuum ports and were new, thanks to E bay. I thought I would lose a bit of power, nope not once I got the carbs adjusted right...secondary jets .077 and primary has a .092 jets with the .071-.058 rods. Both carbs are adjust the same and are hook up 1 to 1.

Car has 3.91 gears and runs just perfect almost.

I would highly recommend the BB guys look in to this dual carb deal. My MPG went from 9 to 10 mpg to like 12 mpg. (not at WOT, ha ha)

D 004 (Small).jpg

D 005 (Small).jpg

done 003 (Small).jpg

rpm 001 (Small).jpg

318 block, bore .030 over with MP 360 heads with the 2.02 intake valves. Head were milled .030 and touch up by Muscle Motors here in Michigan. MM told me they believe the 308 heads--late 1980's 360 heads are the best factory head..besides those W2 heads.

Sure some old 360 heads would be good too.

That intake does have small runners but it sealed up good to those 360 heads

Everybody loves a show off 8)

Guess that is the way to do it but mine hides under the hood and can be a daily driver and loves stop and go traffic now, along with high rpms.

Very cool moparFreak. BTW: did you but that intake from a guy on Moparts? Just curious cause I saw one advertised on there a couple months back and I responded but was too late. As usual:bootysha:

318 block, bore .030 over with MP 360 heads with the 2.02 intake valves. Head were milled .030 and touch up by Muscle Motors here in Michigan. MM told me they believe the 308 heads--late 1980's 360 heads are the best factory head..besides those W2 heads.

Sure some old 360 heads would be good too.

That intake does have small runners but it sealed up good to those 360 heads

That's crazy, that thing must rev like heck! What kinda cam?

Camshaft is 224 @ .050 on 111 LBC, its a custom grind from Mike Jones cams, he is on SpeedTalk dot com and does cams for pro racers. CamKing he goes by on there.

No I found this intake on Ebay for $330 however Ebay been like dead with buyers lately and I seen a D64 intake sell with just 2 bids for $100 (like $76 before shipping) The D64 has the mounting holes drilled at the old angle for 1965-66 273 motors. It work but the holes need to be re-drilled and the mounting surface needs to be flatten down so the bolts sit flush...not a must but helps keep the oil from seeping past and getting the intake oily.

I might have bid on it but I wasn't sure how this would work..plus machine shop lobor isn't cheap..but last spring those D64 were getting $250. Think its off season and people are broke.

No I don't just going by how it feels and how quickly I can pass up these newer cars. I do have some wide open muti lanes roads with speed limits as high as 70 mph (one even has a stop light right before it.

Maybe its more about the same power overall but it does feel better down low part throttle but wide open down low in 3rd gear its not quite as good as my Demon DP 650 was. At higher rpms or in lower gear were revs come up fast and easy its just as good--I say a bit better.

I need to work on getting the secondary air valve open sooner. If I had Edelbock AVS carbs I could just adjust the spring but with the AFB carb is grinding of weight to make the secondary open sooner. I have hear and old trick was just to remove a valve from one of the carbs. I will try that as soon as I'm sure the jetting is right on. Its very close but might try .074 jets in the secondaries (lots of fun changing two carb jets..about 20 mins it takes me but like to do it with the carbs cool so not to pull any threads out. I had .080 and it was too rich..it was good until I went fatter on the primaries..but it needed it.

Edelbrock AVS carbs are adjusted at 1 1/2 turns for the secondaries vs 2 1/2 turns for non dual carbs...so it very well needs to get some weight off those secondaries air flaps..

I have an old tuning carb mag from Hot Rod order off Ebay last week from the late 70's, it has advice on tuning dual carbs. I'm going to look at the pictures and see how they used to take the weight off back then..it should come late this week.

Maybe I should have just got Edelbock AVS carbs..but you seen the prices / I got these carbs and tuning kits for $420 and the carbs were new..Edelbrock was like $400 a carb for the AVS.

-
Back