Dual valve springs on stock 360??

-

ScampLA360

Reaction score
Alright so I am rebuilding my first engine ever because of a cracked head and I got a free set of 596 heads, same as my engine ran before. HOWEVER, my stock heads had single valve springs with no damper, and the new ones have dual valve springs with a damper. I have no clue what the spring rates are. I know my motor is likely entirely stock with a 2bbl cam. Could anyone please tell me if they think this will cause problems with my cam, and if so is the smaller center spring removable?
E9E66B9A-E724-4DF6-BFF6-6B4235F2838B.jpeg

I would not run those on a stock low lift cam.

Use of these "mystery" springs can lead to increased valve train wear due to increased seat pressure. Use stock springs. Can you swap springs from your old heads?

Remove the inner spring on one (keep the dampner) and get the spring pressure measured by a local engine builder/cylinder head mob.
If it brings them down to a reasonable pressure pull the rest of the inner springs out and run them.
Stock springs with thousands of miles and heat cycles will be pretty flogged out.

Removing the inner springs is certainly one option. But then, you're kinda in unknown territory, unless you have the outer springs tested. Then you'll have enough money in the project to have bought some new stock springs, or have the others swapped over.

Swap the old springs into the new heads or get new springs, I vote for the matter if you have the cash to do so.

-
Back