DUEL

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just watched the movie 3 times in a row today to scrutinize the valiant movie star.

There are some scenes it's a 72 with 71 wheel covers and some scenes it's a 72 with 72+ wheel covers.

I believe all the interior shots are of the 72. (later gauge bezel and electric window washer switch)

Majority of the movie shows a 71 on the outside.

I wonder how many of these cars got trashed making the movie.

Does anyone have a DUEL valiant here ?? or at least one that looks like it

CIMG0055.JPG

That's a good one. I watch it frequently. Kitty despises it.

That's a good one. I watch it frequently. Kitty despises it.
dang, .....what is there to not like other than a good valiant and a cool dodge big rig getting trashed.

I love the sound of the buzzing half dozen LOL

He picked red to contrast with the blue sky. Also there is huge continuity issues with the odometer throughout the movie. The big rig was a POS that could not go faster than 45 so they had to shoot it so it looked like it was going faster than it was.

Do I have to turn in my Mopar card if I admit that I've never seen this movie?
actually no, Me being the mopar lover that I am ......I didn't see this movie until last month and only because a FABO member is lending me the movie.

BIG THANKS to that member, you know who you are!!!!

Very suspenseful movie. I liked the way Dennis Weaver jumped up and down at the end. Maybe he should have looked at this site because there have been several questions on overheating.

I had watched it many times before I noticed who directed the movie.

dang, .....what is there to not like other than a good valiant and a cool dodge big rig getting trashed.

I love the sound of the buzzing half dozen LOL

She just doesnt like movies like that. She cannot stand Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry, Vanishing Point, Christine.......none of them.

Do I have to turn in my Mopar card if I admit that I've never seen this movie?

Not at all....I admit I never saw it either till a couple years ago, and I really enjoyed it. It was a TV Movie originally, done on a small budget but to such great effect it was released in theaters. Dennis Weaver does a great job as a working man trying to maintain control of his life and emotions. The action moves so fast, it's easy to overlook the goofs. Although one thing I'm pretty sure, a Nova or Maverick would not have been able to take the abuse or stay planted during the crazy maneuvers like that Valiant did!

There was a "Duel" Valiant for sale at Carlisle. It was By the Grand stands. Wonder if someone has a Pic?

Pretty sure the truck in not a Dodge but an autocar.

You guys are young, very young!!.....LOL......when I was young myself, the feature movie (and the B serie one) were showned 7 times per weekend.......the ''ticket guy'' was a friend so I paid Friday night and returned Saturday and Sunday with the same ticket.........

Seven times per weekend I watched car movies, Elvis, Jerry Lewis, etc.

Only the 3th times I saw in which cell Elvis was in the Jailhouse Rock song...

..and my friend work in movie theaters till our forties.........

There are some scenes it's a 72 with 71 wheel covers and some scenes it's a 72 with 72+ wheel covers.

I believe all the interior shots are of the 72. (later gauge bezel and electric window washer switch)

Majority of the movie shows a 71 on the outside.

I wonder how many of these cars got trashed making the movie.
View attachment 1714953439

I seem to recall originally seeing the movie on tv in either late '71 or early '72. Not sure I would have picked up on the hubcap differences.

About 10 years ago a co-worker let me borrow the DVD. It had a bonus track with Steven Speilberg discussing the making of the movie. I can't imagine they went thru too many cars given the budget limitations...I remember him saying they only had one truck so they had to get the going-over-the-cliff scene right the first time.

At least they were trashing then-new cars as opposed to vintage ones like in Christine. I read somewhere they went thru 7 Belvederes to make that one.

...I remember him saying they only had one truck so they had to get the going-over-the-cliff scene right the first time.

Remember that too, the driver was outside the truck (of course) on a platform and jump in a pickup truck box I think....

I thought that movie was one of the dumbest things I'd ever seen. Sorry guys, that's the truth.

we watched it back in the '70s cuz we like Mopar and Dennis Weaver. very dumb. I would have left that truck in the dust. Good movies-Vanishing Point, Funny Car Summer, Two Lane Blacktop, Christine, love the 1970 Plymouth Fury ? in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

"The Car", now that was dumb. Looked like a Lincoln. Killdozer was something that belonged on SciFi channel, like BAD.

I know of a 1971 in factory orange. If it ever comes up for sale, I want it. :)

-
Back