Dumb Autozone employee

-

SCredneck

LARGE member
Reaction score
One day my friend Tim and I were feeling creative, he grabbed one of his small vid cams and we went to Auto Zone, camera hidden in his coat, I walked up to the counter and the doofy looking kid behind the counter asked if he could help me, I told him I needed parts to my car, He asked what kind, I told him that it was a 1986 Delorian, he typed it into the pc and asked what part I needed, I told him I needed a Flux Capacitor, and the kid still oblivious looked it up and asked me what size i needed!! I told him 1.21 gigawatts, he typed it in.. and told me that it would take 2 weeks to ship to the store!! Im busting up laughing at this point and the kid doesnt understand why... So I said nevermind i need one today so I can go back to 2045 and he still didnt get it so I left and wonder how that store is open when it hires people who know nothing about cars!!

I feel your pain. Running into a "parts guy" around here is a rare and refreshing event.

GL out there,

Bad Shrimp

One day my friend Tim and I were feeling creative, he grabbed one of his small vid cams and we went to Auto Zone, camera hidden in his coat, I walked up to the counter and the doofy looking kid behind the counter asked if he could help me, I told him I needed parts to my car, He asked what kind, I told him that it was a 1986 Delorian, he typed it into the pc and asked what part I needed, I told him I needed a Flux Capacitor, and the kid still oblivious looked it up and asked me what size i needed!! I told him 1.21 gigawatts, he typed it in.. and told me that it would take 2 weeks to ship to the store!! Im busting up laughing at this point and the kid doesnt understand why... So I said nevermind i need one today so I can go back to 2045 and he still didnt get it so I left and wonder how that store is open when it hires people who know nothing about cars!!

LMAO! That is great. Gonna have to try that at my local part store...:-D

A couple of years ago a buddy and I where having a few beers. We called the service station up the road from my house and made an appointment to have the waterpump replaced in my 78 VW Bug. Wonder what the master tech thought when he looked at the days work schedule.

A couple of years ago a buddy and I where having a few beers. We called the service station up the road from my house and made an appointment to have the waterpump replaced in my 78 VW Bug. Wonder what the master tech thought when he looked at the days work schedule.

LOL!!

where is the video??!!

We want the video!!! Too funny!!!

My brother was a Nissan tech for many years. He got tired of it, so he quit his job and took a part time with O'Rileys Auto Parts just so he could have a little income and some health insurance. Sure enough, a customer walks in the door and says I need a gasket for a Ford 9". My brothers reply...9" what?

Great minds must think alike!!! Me and a buddy did the SAME exact thing....minus the video camera. That **** was too funny and guy at the counter said he would have to send an e-mail to the warehouse to get the part. Even after I told him it was a joke he still didn't get it. Guess he got me though, while I was there I needed some tie-rods for a car I was working on for a guy....Of course he gave me the wrong one's!!!

When I was at Midas our manager knew s***, but he could sell what we told him to sell. It was a long year for me, covering three other guys seven weeks of vacation combined and I was looking forward to vacation myself, taking it between Christmas and New Years. The corporate suits thought a full day on Christmas Eve was needed. Which was fine by me. My day off was the day before Christmas Eve, so my district gave me an extra day (with pay!) to give me a pat on the back and let me start vacation early.

Knowing my boss was a dumba** and that work would be slow I put Oscar Meyer on the schedule for Christmas Eve with a fake phone number. Oscar was bringing in his '95 Wiener Mobile for a full service work up. Rotating the rotors, repacking the muffler bearings, changing the summer air to winter air in the tires, changing the flasher fluid, etc.

When I got back to work I was greeted with a bunch of laughs. Seems that work was so slow that the boss was in the process of attempting to call good ol' Oscar to see if he was gonna make his appointment. :-D

I have quoted a Flux Capacitor to a major West coast city entity. Somewhere around here I must have the PO with that line item on it because we did get the project. It was all custom communications equipment with multiple specialty line items.

Running into a "parts guy" around here is a rare and refreshing event.

We had a store here that sold parts for old farm machinery which is what we mostly run on our place. You could give the owner the most obscure descriptions of parts. " It's the red roundish rectangular thing that goes on the left side underneath the right hand fender". The guy would have the name and part number in seconds. He was some kind of 'parts wizard'. Closed down the place when head office wanted him to expand and he didn't want to. Man I miss that guy.

I feel your pain, I do not like the parts dealers around Syracuse, as well. I do not care for the Advance auto here unless, I do an online order with free ship to store. My favorite place here is Carquest, half a mile from my house. I go into their store, they are fast and always get me the correct part, but these guys are 40 ish and not inexperienced young kids. My other favorite place is Rockauto.com.

I've found the best stores are older, smaller stores. I needed a replacement transmission cooling line for my valiant. i went into this small auto store (genuine auto parts? I think), where everyone was older. They knew exacly what I was tallking about and got me the part. Very helpful!

i went to both auto zone and advance. Autozone found the part, but didn't have a connector for Chrysler cars. Advance gave me the line, "I was born in the fuel injection age. Sorry, but I don't know about the older cars."

Well, at least the guy at advance admited he didn't know anything about REAL, ( I mean, older) cars.

The only time i use chain auto parts stores if its oil, at fluid or stuff llike that. Any specail parts, I've found older, smaller stores to be the best.

Oreilley is good here in the Houston area, look up your part online,and the site will find a store nearby with the part, therefore bypassimg dummies!!!

There's only 4 in my town right now. NAPA and O'Rileys are like a social club, you can't get any help unless you work there and are on the clock. I would have to be physicly restrained and drug into either one of those places again. The Advanced here is fair to good, depending on who is working. The AutoZone here is awful. All the parts guys are over 40, but there is not half a brain between them. Top that off with bad parts numbers and hit or miss delivery and they can be more frustrating than the DMV. Almost makes me wish Wal-Mart would go into the parts business.

Don't ask for disk brake parts for a 70 Dart. They did not come with them. Only drums. Or so I was told. The computer knows all. LOL

Yeah, where's this video?

I don't believe one word of this. I worked at Autozone for a week in between jobs about 6 months ago. The computers don't work how you said, at all. First of all, you said it was an 83. They weren't made then. He would immediately know that due to the computer, and ask you if you had the correct year. Also they don't "type" anything in. It's all lists. He wouldn't have said he could get it, he'd have no way of ringing it up, or quoting you a price.

If you really did do this, and aren't trying to cough up another FABO laugh, I don't see anything funny about screwing with a kid who's making minimum wage. Why should any of us expect a kid making minimum wage to be some parts expert?

Haha! It says, "Available in store only" which is then followed by "Available online only"

to be fair autozone will order your 60's bug water pumps all the time...

then when you go in to pick it up they cant seem to ever find it...

-
Back