Dumb Coil wiring question

-

Confusedcuda

Reaction score
Don't make fun, but while trying to troubleshoot a no fire problem with my 67 barracuda, my buddy thinks I have my wires that run to my coil terminals are backwards. He thinks I have the wrong one connected to the neg. side of the coil and the one that should be on the neg. side to the positive. He decided this while looking at the wire diagram for my orange box, that may have went kapoot. Is this possible. My car has been running and driving fine for a couple of months since the last time I messed with my coil and could of possibly flip-flopped them. Would it start at all if these were backwards? Thanks!

It will start and run, but the spark polarity will be wrong, which will wear plugs and reduce performance.

I don't know how much simpler it can get - goes to the box, + goes to the downstream side of the ballast.

This diagram was just posted this morning by ABodyJoe and is excellent. I cropped it some

"S" Start represents the factory brown bypass wire coming out of the bulkhead, provides hot 12V for start

"R" Run represents the factory "run" wire coming out of the bulkhead, supplying the ignition and regulator

Attachments

• electronic ign conversiona.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 176
Thanks 67 DART273, once again, put in a new ECU and it fired right up! Switched my coil wires to the correct way to be hooked up. I had it all tuned in and timed with my coil wires hooked up backwards. Will I now need to mess with the timing and such since I put the coil wires in the correct order? Thanks!

PS Your fuel filter with the vapor return line, solved my stalling when warm issue. I think we need to put you on a retainer fee for advice. Thanks again

Glad you are makin' progress. Wish I were. Between my arthritis and the weather here, I'm not gettin' much done.

A reversed coil shouldn't affect your timing, but flash a lamp and see. A couple of months probably didn't affect your spark plugs, but look at them close next time. They normally wear at the center electrode, but a reversed current would make the ground electrode wear and it can't handle hot electrons as well.

PS Your fuel filter with the vapor return line, solved my stalling when warm issue. I think we need to put you on a retainer fee for advice. Thanks again

Where is my retainer fee....your breaking my heart not trusting my trouble shooting skills son.

Give an old fat fish some love or your gonna find me floating upside down in the toilet.

Mop

-
Back