Dumb question (about intake manifold gasket) for the day

-
I'm not ready to install yet, still need to go get another drill bit, 2 more heli-coils left. I will definitely check that out before I do perm. install it though. Now, with the metal gaskets around the ports, should I put rtv on both sides? Or just the intake side?

Red flag,
I would not use metal gaskets with an aluminum intake.
Buy the fel-pro ones like these.
Do not put rtv around the ports.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-1243/

Red flag,
I would not use metal gaskets with an aluminum intake.
Buy the fel-pro ones like these.
Do not put rtv around the ports.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FEL-1243/

Correct... I'd use Fel-Pro's too. Don't ever use RTV around the intake ports cause gasoline turns RTV into jelly. Fel-pro's do not require sealer around the ports, just the end corners. If you ever have to use any type of sealer where gasoline is involved use a Shellac type such as Indian head or Fel-Pro high tack.

I think I missed something here. The majority of suggestions say to leave out the cork gaskets, and remove the dowells. Well, I removed them, sat the intake manifold in place, without cork, and there is a HUGE gap! What's going on? Is the rtv supposed to be that thick between the two? Will it hold??

Correct... I'd use Fel-Pro's too. Don't ever use RTV around the intake ports cause gasoline turns RTV into jelly. Fel-pro's do not require sealer around the ports, just the end corners. If you ever have to use any type of sealer where gasoline is involved use a Shellac type such as Indian head or Fel-Pro high tack.

Great, I just saw this, after I already opened the gaskets up!

How big is the gap? Mine was about .150" and RTV held fine. A .150" gap looks huge to look at it but it's not a problem using RTV to seal it.

It looks ok to me but since you have no gaskets in place the gap will get bigger. It's pretty hard to guess how big the gap is but I've sealed them before with nearly 1/4" gap. Do you have a feeler gauge? If so start stacking blades until you find what just fits in there and add the thicknesses of the blades up and that'll tell you how big the gap is.

Now I feel like a COMPLETE idiot. I just went to install the intake manifold, and realized that heli-coiling was a stupid, stupid idea. Most threads were fine, just 2 were stripped out, but I put them in all, just to make sure I wouldn't have to take off the manifold again. Well, apparently I don't know how to drill very straight. So now, I can't align my intake to the head, and I don't really know what I'm going to do at this point. I'm debating replacing the cylinder head, or drilling the holes on the intake bigger so they have more clearance for the bolts. If you were a dummy like me, what would YOU do????

Its not easy to force a drill to change the location or anngle of a predrilled hole.
Even if it was off a good bit at the bottom of a deep hole it should be fairly centered at the top. I think I would find the sweet spot where all the bolts will start. Maybe drill on or 2 intake bolts a tiny bit larger.

Its not easy to force a drill to change the location or anngle of a predrilled hole.
Even if it was off a good bit at the bottom of a deep hole it should be fairly centered at the top. I think I would find the sweet spot where all the bolts will start. Maybe drill on or 2 intake bolts a tiny bit larger.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that today. Already used a whole RTV last night when I THOUGHT they lined up. They actually did line up when I checked before, but that was without the gaskets in place. Now, I can only get a few of them in!

When you have the intake setting in place with the gaskets in but no bolts in it look into the bolt holes. Does it look like the intake bolt holes are higher or lower than the bolt holes in the heads?

BTW: A whole tube of RTV is generally way too much. I never have to use even a half tube. If you use too much it can drip down in the lifter valley and possibly drop down and get sucked up into the oil pump pickup clogging it which will starve the engine for oil. You only need enough to fill the gap and a little squeeze out.

Strange. My stroker had yellow "glue" holding the flat side of the Fel-pro's on to the heads. I asked about what it was at the local speed shop (Mopar house) and they said it is 3M weatherstrip which is also yellow. The Fel-Pro instructions said to use the sealer areound the intakes and water holes and set the manifold on to allow the gasket sealer to dry, holding it in with a few bolts.

I have about a 0.100-0.150 gap on the ends which does not appear to be even across the span. Had black RTK in there before and will have more when it goes together final. I will probably let the bead of RTV set up a little before plopping on the intake.

Watching this thread with interest as this is the first head install on a SB Moapr that I have done.

Strange. My stroker had yellow "glue" holding the flat side of the Fel-pro's on to the heads. I asked about what it was at the local speed shop (Mopar house) and they said it is 3M weatherstrip which is also yellow. The Fel-Pro instructions said to use the sealer areound the intakes and water holes and set the manifold on to allow the gasket sealer to dry, holding it in with a few bolts.

I have about a 0.100-0.150 gap on the ends which does not appear to be even across the span. Had black RTK in there before and will have more when it goes together final. I will probably let the bead of RTV set up a little before plopping on the intake.

Watching this thread with interest as this is the first head install on a SB Moapr that I have done.

Using 3m trim cement is an old trick to hold the gaskets in place. Not sure what to say about using it other than the standard Fel-pro blue gaskets I have used numerous times say use no sealer. What Fel-pro gaskets did you use? As for letting the bead of RTV set up, that depends on the RTV your using. Some requires immediate assy. and others require it to skin over. If you do it wrong you'll be doing it again cause it won't stick properly.

I used a whole tube because I wanted to make sure it was going to be a good seal, but as you said, I shouldn't have done that. Even with the whole tube, it didn't seem to hardly even touch the sealant on the ends, it was about 1/4 high, probably too thick though. Now, I just need to get the intake to line up, which is frustrating the hell outta me. I think I just need some good music, a beer or two, and a good lunch before I start! I'm liking this thread also, wasn't expecting so much feedback.

If I didn't get it right this time, I'm seriously ready to sell this car. Just want what I paid for it, not trying to profit. My will be home from Afghanistan this month, and I need a driver!

Enlarge the manifold holes(helicoil should be done by a head shop, on a jig). Fel pros suck. RTV only on the ends, just a 3/8" bead high(don't want it in the valley).DO put sealer around the water jacket holes(4), both sides of gasket.

Don't torque to 35 ft/lbs. 3/8" ratchet, just a little snug pull. Like a spark plug.

Fishy, yes, I just did, and it's all aligned now, thanks for the advice. Now, I'm ready to put it back on. First, my last dummy question. I got the edelbrock 7276 gaskets, they have the impregnated seal on one side. Do I put the seals facing the manifold, or heads? I"m assuming against the manifold, but just want to be absolutely sure. I'm taking my time tonight, even if I'm up all night getting it on. This guy is determined to get it done, and get it done right!

Anybody? It's friday, i'm ready to pull an all nighter. Just want to make sure I put these gaskets on the right way!

Just got the intake down, waiting for the rtv to cure. went to put valve covers on, now i know why i couldn't stop the oil leaking from it. wish i would have know they'd be hitting the intake. Now, grind down the valve covers (mopar), or double gaskets?

Lay them on and mark where the intake runner hits and grind that area flat to the gasket surface. I use a bench grinder to do it. Be glad you did not snap the ear off before you noticed they interfere. I have had to weld a few.

I had to grind mine to get them to clear too. Seems to be a common problem as I've talked to a bunch of guys that have that issue.

-
Back