Dumb Question About Swapping Cams

-

bob_o

Reaction score
I'm going to be putting a new cam/lifters in my '66 Valiant and I'm wondering if I can do it with the engine still in the car if I remove the radiator and grill? Or am I better off just pulling the engine out? Thanks in advance!

I believe it will come out. I'm not positive.

You need to pull the rad and possibly the grill center and I think the right outer to get the cam out. You may sneak it out around. Last time I did a cam in an early barracuda I ended up pulling the whole grill due to worn motor mounts and engine shift.

I'm going to be putting a new cam/lifters in my '66 Valiant and I'm wondering if I can do it with the engine still in the car if I remove the radiator and grill? Or am I better off just pulling the engine out? Thanks in advance!
I think we need to know what engine. It might be possible, but I'd hate doing it for a sl/6. I know I've done it in a late a-body v8. I've even dialed them in in a car.

How confident are you the cam bearings and cam plug are in good shape. I have seen many engines with worn or flaking apart bearings.

So if done in the car you may end up pulling the trans. Also if you have the intake off and the timing cover. And then possibly the trans. Why not replace the head gaskets.

Pull the motor unless its a fresh build

It can be done in the car. I have done it a couple of times. However, I would suggest pulling the engine. You will probably have to undo the mounts, and raise the engine to remove the oil pump, any way. Also it is a pain in the butt to seal the timing cover to the block and oil pan, and not have it seep oil. I would also highly suggest using a degree wheel (hard to do in the car) and degree in the cam, not just install dot to dot.

I think we need to know what engine. It might be possible, but I'd hate doing it for a sl/6. I know I've done it in a late a-body v8. I've even dialed them in in a car.
I'm guessing it's a slant, since it's in the /6 forum... :poke:

In my experience you will always have to pull the radiator and on most cars the grill and hood latch support as well.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions, my dudes. With everything you guys told me and the other work I already have planned, I might as well yank the thing out. Again, much appreciated!

-
Back