dumb question!!!

-

snoreen40

Reaction score
my dart .. only charges when its idled up or on the gas - discharges with lights on or anything else on at idle, have new reman alternator,working fine on bench tests - didnt have this problem with my old 69 stick, my new car(67 dart gt 360 auto) whats the cure?

how old is the regulator? did you check all connection?

every thing is new -- regulator,wiring ect. charges fine from 1000 - 1200 rpm and if there is no load on, kind-of seems like its just not turning fast enough, is there a larger pulley for this?

every thing is new -- regulator,wiring ect. charges fine from 1000 - 1200 rpm and if there is no load on, kind-of seems like its just not turning fast enough, is there a larger pulley for this?

Name brand alternator or cheap Checker junk??? Just because an alternator charges good when it's turning fast doesn't mean it a good alternator.

Check voltage at idle at:

battery?
regulator input?
regulator output?
field terminal coming from the regulator where it pushes on the alternator?
output lug at the alternator?

my dart .. only charges when its idled up or on the gas - discharges with lights on or anything else on at idle, have new reman alternator,working fine on bench tests - didnt have this problem with my old 69 stick, my new car(67 dart gt 360 auto) whats the cure?

Don't have any answers for you, but I can tell you that mine does the exact same thing. At night the lights go dim when I stop at a red light, blinkers slow way down, etc. I've been driving it for 3 yrs and it's mildly annoying but has never caused a problem. I'm still running on the walmart battery I bought when I bought the car. Always charged.:cheers:

Don't have any answers for you, but I can tell you that mine does the exact same thing. At night the lights go dim when I stop at a red light, blinkers slow way down, etc. I've been driving it for 3 yrs and it's mildly annoying but has never caused a problem. I'm still running on the walmart battery I bought when I bought the car. Always charged.:cheers:

typical mopar..........

only time i had this problem was when i bought a car, it would do like described above. found out after taken the car for a 15 minute cruise, the dummy before me had put a dual lead alt on a car that only had one grn and one led off of the alt. so at idle, it would not charge, but once i got the car moving, it was seriously over-charging, and i could smell wire burning under the dash.
so, like a jack ***, i thought it was the guage in the car, so i cut it, and tried touching them together while at idle, and there was no spark. then i decided to hold the throttle at like 2500, and then touched them together......... it was like ark welding under the dash, it literally burnt the skin off 4 fingers, and the two wire ends basically fused together,lol what a jack-arse i felt like.lol

This what you're seeing is normal even with good alternators, and is usually worse with "remanufactured" junk. Upgrades are possible, see here.

do you guys know if someone sells a complete wiring harness kit for 73 dart swinger? i was figuring since im already going to have the engine out why not do it at the same time, right?

Mopar Performance constant output voltage regulator.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-3690732/

I was having the same problem with a my late model 75 amp charging system. I have already done the amp gauge by pass, 4 ga wire from the alternator, relays for the headlights, as well as relay for the elec fan.

At idle (900 RPM w/ big cam) my interior lights, tail lights, head lights, would flicker. I removed the stock type voltage regulator and replaced it with the above mentioned VR. No more flicker. This is a street car not a race car so I haven't drove it enough to see if any problems will arise. Right now its working good for me.

The voltage regulator shouldn't be the problem at all. The voltage regulator is most likely sending full voltage to the field windings in the alternator at idle. Reman junk alternator is probably the cause......OR....your car isn't idling too low in drive, is it?? I've had the same problem before, and after I swapped in a few other alternators I had laying around, it was fine.

This one time, while attempting to solve this problem on my bro's car, A guy at Spring Fling in Ca told me to try running a ground wire from one alt field to the car's body-73dart sport, seemed to fix, weird. Always charged after that.

-
Back