dumbest excuse someone gave you for not buying part/ car from you?

-

macho781988

your resident horses a$$
Reaction score
i got online today and my buddy told me that his 4spd transmission didnt sell cause the bellhousing bolts that bolt to the motor werent the right ones. now i think that is dumb since new bolts can be had easy but i may be wrong about that, but wat do you think the dumbest excuse someone gave you for not buying a part/ car?

i got online today and my buddy told me that his 4spd transmission didnt sell cause the bellhousing bolts that bolt to the motor werent the right ones. now i think that is dumb since new bolts can be had easy but i may be wrong about that, but wat do you think the dumbest excuse someone gave you for not buying a part/ car?
That is dumb as hell....

My brother once traded his 77 Warlock 318 4x4 and the best pulling car trailer I've ever used for a Harley.

The truck had original paint (although thinning) and wood, ran like a top, and the a/c and cruise control worked.
He told the "tradee" up front that he didn't know if the motor was the original, but had no reason to believe otherwise.

Two weeks later, the tradee calls and demands to be "compensated" because he can't read the numbers on the block, and that the "value may be hurt if the numbers don't match".

Really?

If it was a 440 car, maybe, and if it was that important, I'd have damn sure looked at the block BEFORE handing over the title.

The dumbest and rudest thing is when someone agrees to buy something and then suddenly you never hear from them again. If they come back and give you a reason why, shut up and count your lucky stars. People are not required to tell you a damn thing. So when they do, stupid reason or not, consider yourself lucky. At least you know something.

Because I asked him to offer what he wants to pay. He wouldn't make an offer unless I told him how much I would charge first.

Sounds to me like (I am not paying you one penny more than you would ask).

The item wasn't listed for sale. Buyer asked for it in a want add.

A lot of parts are still here due to Guys afraid to make an offer. We all know what theses parts go for . Its just that we (thats right including me ) want it for as cheap as we can get it.

It is the down fall of many sales.

If only we were all rich we could make each other rich.

This thread should get real interesting.

A lot of parts are still here due to Guys afraid to make an offer. We all know what theses parts go for . Its just that we (thats right including me ) want it for as cheap as we can get it.

I disagree, in my case anyway, I find it real hard to put a price on another mans belongings. I may want the part cheaper, who doesn't, but the last thing I want to do is insult someone.

I'm currently looking at a 73 Mercury Comet for my wife (it's what she wants) the guy said make an offer. I refused because I would have offered him a ridiculously low price for it. It is in real good shape, V8 car to boot. I let him set the tone and we dicker from there.

I'm guilty of this......but not for the reasons you state. I just flat out SUCK at the "make an offer" game. It intimidates the hell out of me. Just never been any good at it. I always feel like I am either gonna insult somebody or overshoot and pay way too much. So usually when somebody starts in with "make me an offer" I just go elsewhere......not because of them, but because of ME.

Because I asked him to offer what he wants to pay. He wouldn't make an offer unless I told him how much I would charge first.

Sounds to me like (I am not paying you one penny more than you would ask).

The item wasn't listed for sale. Buyer asked for it in a want add.

It is the down fall of many sales.

If only we were all rich we could make each other rich.

This thread should get real interesting.

If there is a for sale sign on the part. Yes a price should be quoted.

But if there is a want for a part that wasn't for sale. I believe the offer should come first. Otherwise don't ask for the part.

I see there is a rule on here that when you list a part for sale you need to ad a asking price.

Well why then when you ask for a part in the want add. Shouldn't you add a price you would like to pay. Unless you are reasonable with your offer for the part. you won't be bothered by someone who doesn't want to help you.

But if there is a want for a part that wasn't for sale. I believe the offer should come first. Otherwise don't ask for the part.

I see there is a rule on here that when you list a part for sale you need to ad a asking price.

Well why then when you ask for a part in the want add. Shouldn't you add a price you would like to pay. Unless you are reasonable with your offer for the part. you won't be bothered by someone who doesn't want to help you.

I can agree with that.

Last year when I had my 07 Can-Am 800 Outlander for sale(ATV).The first person to call asked if it had any scratches on it?I said...your kidding right?After riding in the bush for 5 yrs,your gonna get scratches.Duh!I sold it to the first person to come look at it,within 24 hrs.:D

It's a don't waste peoples time with want ads if you are fishing for a smoking deal. Especially when lots of times those same want ad parts end up for sale at a MUCH higher price.

I've answered some want ads with a decent price and that was told that's too much. It was much less than a similar item listed for sale section. Go figure.

i always do the make an offer thing, if i have a part i want to know wat someone will pay for it, thats the thing its only worth wat someone will pay. but i can agree with the dont go looking for a specific part thats not for sale and look for a deal youre looking cause you need it.

rob when someone goes make an offer, just go look idk wat these things are worth but i can throw out a price and well go from there. thats wat i always do. and it doesnt matter if you actually know wat its worth or not. some ppl just want the high price to keep others from making money, ive sold a few things and ppl go well theres nothing left on the bone if i pay that price, i look at em and go im not in the meat market.

I have a standard response when someone asks me to make an offer. I say this:

"I'm very uncomfortable doing that because when someone asks me to make an offer, I am going to one of two things: Im either going to PAY TOO MUCH, or I'm going to PISS YOU OFF! I'd really rather not do either! Please tell me what you need to get for it!"

On a related note: I had a set of wheels on CL for $100. They had been on a while when I got an email offering me $50. I responded by saying that they were in my way and I didn't need them, so yes $50 was ok. Please come get them.

The next email I got, the person asked me if that was my LOWEST price! I responded by saying: "NO that was YOUR lowest price!" I still have the wheels.

I'm never insulted buy any offers...I can say no and laugh at it. Never having any expectations with offers is where I always start.
I just sold a pair of brand new BFG 295/50/15's. Paid 400 for them but they had a ever so slight rub on tight turns. No slice or anything and the rub was invisible but I new I couldn't use them so my add said I'd take the loss at 325. My only response was from a guy who said he hoped I wouldn't be insulted but he'd give me 250 for them. I sent him a response saying I'm never insulted, give me 300 and we'll both be very happy. 2 weeks later he asked if I still had them. He gave me 300 and we were both very happy.

here's a similar story, but in the OPPOSITE direction...20+ years ago I went to look at a Jeep Commando under the impression that it was running good. Turns out it "ran good" before it didn't run at all. I called a couple days later and offered 40% of his asking price being that all I could verify as good was body and frame. He was insulted. He said angrily, "THIS IS A 4 WHEEL DRIVE JEEP VEHICLE!" I replied, "Well, right now it's a no-wheel drive vehicle and I have know idea the condition of the drivetrain." He responded, "Well I'm telling you it's good!" When I declined he went on a tirade about how valuable it is. I listened briefly to not seem rude but he kept going on. I finally interrupted him with, "Dude, it's not worth that much to me." I noticed it was still in his driveway about a year later.

Another one I like is when I have the price clearly marked and someone asks, "How much ya want for it?"

Better question is "how much will you TAKE for it?" I get the heebies when someone asks me to make an offer on a part Im looking at. I was looking at a 2bbl pro-jection at the Fling and the dude asks make me an offer..I say "a hundred bucks?", he juts out his hand anxiously and says "Sold!" I said, " wait up, I dont want to buy it, I was just making an offer" He gets a little squishy and says "do you want it or not?" I said "no, its missing the $80 buck fuel pump" Seems I put both of us in an uncomfortable position....
I went to buy a beaqtger truck for transportation and hauling and I looked at a pre-runner style Ford ranger...bead lock rims, huge tires, racing buckets, no interior, AL dash 6" lift...I said, "I dont think so bro, I would rather you sell it to someone who would appreciate it more than me....." plus the fact that the odometer read 64000 miles and the pedals were worn through the pads and the motor was REALLY old looking...I think it had 264000 miles on it and I told him that too.

When asked to price something, I offer 1/2 of
what I would pay for it.
If they get pissy I say: Hey, I'm just trying to make it easy on me
and we have to start somewhere.

If you don't want to play the game, put a price on it.
If you think I'm going to offer more than its worth..... that'll never happen.

Another issue with the "make an offer" crowd, is that if someone has 4 or 5 things I'm interested in, now it takes 4-5 times longer or more, to figure out if I can afford all of them or some of them, and I get put on the spot to make a decision each time.

Not a very comfortable position, and I usually end up asking about only one, and passing on anything from those folks, IMO, that guy just lost multiple potential sales because he either A- was too lazy to figure an asking price, or B- wanted to play head games with potential buyers.

I often sell at swap meets. Last weekend I had a space at the Fremont Mopar Alley show. I had price tags on most everything. A few things I left unpriced. The minute we rolled in, we were swarmed by people looking to buy. I made the most money I have ever had this time. I priced stuff at or below the prices at the local Pick-n-pull junkyards even on stuff that is REALLY hard to find. I was only lowballed 3 or 4 time the whole day.
In the past I have seen guys at swap meets that hover over a part for several minutes, not sure of whether to buy or not...THAT is annoying. Once I was at a swap meet with a friend and we got separated. When I found him, he was standing a few feet from a guy that was looking at a Challenger rear valance panel. I asked my buddy..."Hey, isn't that the valance you wanted? Is that guy going to buy it"?
"I don't know... maybe he should make up his friggin mind!
The idiot did buy the valance after all. We found another a few rows down.

Of course SELLERS have to put a price on their parts - it's THEIR parts!.

Asking a buyer to put a value on something someone else owns is just plain stupid.

When a person posts a want ad and specifically asks for sellers to respond with a picture and a PRICE - that's what the buyer is asking for. Why would you bother to contact that person if you don't want to comply with the ad?

For someone to respond to that type of want ad by asking "what are you willing to pay" is irritating and just wastes everyone's time.

Think about it, when you are looking to make a purchase of ANYTHING, what are the very first things you, as a buyer, want and need to know - the condition and the __________.

Yep, the price.

I've been wrenching and restoring Mopars for quite a while and blessed to have a garage full of cars now. Through the years my experiences with sellers that won't put a price on something and say, "what are you willing to pay" are looking for a sucker they can gouge. I would venture to say that most buyers that have experienced that method of "selling" would agree.

-
Back