duplicolor paint shop

-

Valian1972

Cammed 340
Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone has used dupli colr paint shop, if so post pics, dont tell me it's lacquer junk i know i dont want flawless paint that will last forever; just until there is more cash

I tried it on my hood scoop (first). the primer was suppose to be grey but it was white. I bought the artic white paint and the clear. Sprayed ok, I would say it would probably hold up as nice as a spray can paint job.

Just a though but if your doing this to be cheap it may cost more in the end.

If you try and spray a 2k component(with hardener) it may lift (it will look like the paint cracked and pickup off the surface). making you have to do it again or a shop, so it will cost more IMO. There are some primers my shop sprays that helps but in the end there is no insurance on it wont lift causing more work.

If it doesn't lift, that's great! But remember a paint job is only as good as whats underneath.

Just keep that in mind, also prep the surface good, scuff pad at least, but again laqure doesn't cover/fill as well as other primers, and will eventually crack too, causing you to strip it and apply 2k components.

Since you want cheap, why not just go with omni (ppg cheap line) in single stage, that way when you do decide to go another route, you have a good point to go from, scuff n shoot

Good luck with what you end up doing 8)

i see jack is lerning alot . no i would not paint somthing i wanted to last with it save your money and do it wright

Just a though but if your doing this to be cheap it may cost more in the end.

If you try and spray a 2k component(with hardener) it may lift (it will look like the paint cracked and pickup off the surface). making you have to do it again or a shop, so it will cost more IMO. There are some primers my shop sprays that helps but in the end there is no insurance on it wont lift causing more work.

If it doesn't lift, that's great! But remember a paint job is only as good as whats underneath.

Just keep that in mind, also prep the surface good, scuff pad at least, but again laqure doesn't cover/fill as well as other primers, and will eventually crack too, causing you to strip it and apply 2k components.

Since you want cheap, why not just go with omni (ppg cheap line) in single stage, that way when you do decide to go another route, you have a good point to go from, scuff n shoot

Good luck with what you end up doing 8)

I agree with using the Omni line from PPG. I know it's your budget, but if you do some price comparing I'm sure you'll find the Omni system is competitive for what it is. Good urethane products to start with and like was pointed out, it would give a good base to go over later.

Just a thought on dollar sides, its going to take you at least 2 gallons to paint the car. Around here the duplicolor is 20 dollars a quart.
8 quarts primer = 160
8 quarts color = 160
8 quarts clear = 160
total 480

shopline by ppg (same as omni)
(2) 1 gallon 2 k primer & activator is 80 bucks or so
(2) 1 gallon base and activator is around 100 dollars
(2) 1 gallon clear and activator is around 100

cost is 560 to do a base coat, clear coat job...probably be less if you go single stage.
I was evaluating both systems here about 2 months ago and am going with Shopline because they will mix the color I want rather than using one of the premade colors.

Guns and materials would be the same for either system.

Holy cow 2 GALONS to paint a car :lol: it shouldnt take that much, remember on a base/clear job you reduce the paint 1/1 so with a galon you have 2 galons RTS(ready to spray) which is more then enough to do a car, probably even enough to do a huge Fury III. I did my 89 daytona with 3qts(unreduced) and i jamed it, did the engine bay and whole car. I may even have more then that left i wanna say its close to a 1/3 of a galon left of paint unreduced.

Omni is cheap and SS is the way to go for cheap, once the color looses its shine just run a buffer over it and it looks new again, i wouldnt do it for something i want to last(but i do body work so I would spend the extra right away) but I would definatlly use SS omni over dupilicolors paint.

I had a friend who wanted to paint his car and kept bragging up Duplicolors Ready to spray, when i told him its laqure paint and what it does/how bad it was, and after more aguing he finally got it.

Besides how hard is it to mix paint at 1/1 lol

I agree with what some of you guys are saying.

Do not buy the dupli color stuff, It cost WAY to much and its not that great of looking paint when its done.
They just hook you into buying it because people read that is ready mixed and real paint and they see $20.00 and automatically think CHEAPER.
But what they fail to think about it the multiplication of each thing you will need as mentioned above.

Depending on what you plan on painting and if you do interior,engine bay and trunk and jams as well and depending on how many coats of paint you lay down, you may need more then a gallon of sprayed paint.
With the dupli color stuff, I would say probably 6 quarts to spray the car,and jams and MAYBE the engine bay.
I have sprayed with this paint before and its coverage is not that great so it will take you a few coats to get the color you need.

So ATLEAST 6 quarts at $20.00 a quart,there's $120.00 and then another 6 for primer there's a total of $340.00 and then another 6 in clear and there's a total of $460.00....which in my opinion is pretty freaking expensive for the CHEAP ALTERNATIVE lol.
You can go single stage and get your paint through napa for cheap depending on the brand and color and then add cost of primer.
Or single stage through summitracings new line of paints at $70.00 a gallon I believe.
Or (I JUST DID THIS SO I KNOW) at my local paint store I went and got a gallon of base clear metallic paint from ppg's shop line brand it cost me $100.00 for the gallon of paint, I got the shopline gallon of clear for $56.00...I then got a gallon of there reducer and a quart of there hardener and 10 stir stick and 10 strainers...I got everything for $212.00 out the door.
No that is not including primer and what not but an entire base clear paint job going that route would run you less then $300.00 easy enough..and that's for base clear and a trusted brand, not off the shelf stuff that will cost you almost $200.00 more and leave you disappointing in the end..and most likely end up repainting down the road because your not happy with the dupli color paint.

Also as mentioned,going the base clear route I am telling you about,the paint mix's 1to1 which means 1 gallon will make 2 gallons mixed.
So if you didnt want to spend the extra cash and you were pretty sure a gallon would do what you need,you could go in to the paint store and just buy a half gallon and mix it out to a gallon!
As for the clear, its 4to1 so you will get a gallon and a quart of clear total when its all said and done. plus once you ad hardeners and if you decide to run other additives...you may gain a smidgen bit more paint.

Anyways, sorry for such a long message.
I just figured I would help you out and give you an idea of a different route to take.

Good luck and I hope this helps!!!!

Also keep in mind not ALL clear is mixed 4:1, I've used Transtar clear thats 2:1, and you have to add aprox. 10% of reducer, lays out good, but once you wet sand n buff (a must in any paint job...to look good, imo) Looks great and isnt very expensive, they dont sell it in galons, its a metric measuring but i bought i believe 5 lt.s of clear and activator, then bought omni reducer 24 bucks, its better then omni/shopline IMO

BTW omni and shopline are the same stuff just rebadged packages.

Shopline is only for sale at PPG certified dealers(that only sell ppg) Go to a place that sells whatever and they can only order omni.

I used the Dupicolor Paintshop system on my 2001 HD Softail I built, I did the fenders and chin fairing, I bought the tank already painted. I basically just wanted to slap some paint on real quick so I could ride, seeing as I was putting the bike together(from a stock HD) all winter. I planned on repainting down the road but ended up selling it cause I got the musclecar bug again.

Anyway the primer and clear went on nice, the base coat ended up having alot of orange peal but I think it either needed some extra thinning or the tipp in my gun was wrong. But I put enough clear on that I was able to wet sand and buff the fenders to a mirror finish. Overall the paint came out great but it took alot of work and it stayed soft for too long in my opinion.

If I had to do a cheap paint job again, I would as someone else mentioned, use a cheaper single stage paint. Theres a couple places where you can get cheap paint that isnt that bad heres a couple...
http://www.tcpglobal.com/restorationshop/
http://www.paintforcars.com/

I think either of these would be better than the Duplicolor and some can be gotten for as little as $35 a gallon.
Heres a few shots of the bike I did, the tank is a top quality paint job and the fenders are the duplicolor I sprayed. Good luck.

Butch

07-19-07%20003.jpg

07-19-07%20009.jpg

07-22-07%20024.jpg

-
Back