Durango 5.9 Magnum R/T any advantage over any other 5.9 Magnum

-
OK,I'm dumb here! Just what in the hell is the diff between a 5.9 magnum and a 5.9 LA??????Hell I thought they were the same just more punch in the magnum!

OK,I'm dumb here! Just what in the hell is the diff between a 5.9 magnum and a 5.9 LA??????Hell I thought they were the same just more punch in the magnum!

There is some differences, mainly the head package and mainly the change from shaft mounted rockers to Chevy style. Which requires different oiling so magnum block can't oil LA heads but LA can oil Magnum heads with the right lifters and push rods. There's others like intake bolt angle, different balancing,

la vs magnum many differences scroll down to magnum on wikipedia mopar la engines

There is some differences, mainly the head package and mainly the change from shaft mounted rockers to Chevy style. Which requires different oiling so magnum block can't oil LA heads but LA can oil Magnum heads with the right lifters and push rods. There's others like intake bolt angle, different balancing,

some early magnum blocks had oiling passages for la heads, I have a 92 block with the passages for la head oiling
later blocks can be modified to oil la heads

lots of differences, gaskets, 10 bolt covers, valves, metric piston rings etc
original 92-93 RT engines had a better camshaft and larger diameter exhaust manifolds

Not a big fan of the magnum motors huh? I have a '98 grand Cherokee 5.9 limited. This thing killls 2003-2004 mustang gt's everyday. Mine is all stock with 197,000 miles on it. This ***** still hauls ***. This makes me a fan. Your Dakota must've been gay and infested with AIDS. Sorry you feel that way. I'm planning on putting this motor in un-touched, other than carb and intake, into my '69 dart, then I'll really be a fan! L.A.'s are junk. Wake up and embrace modern technology fossil..... lol.
Really?? You must not be too bright...or know much or done much in the smblk world of mopar,try a la engine 360 with same combos and see what that does for your jeepster,the 360 magnum in my dakota was torquey for what it was and the weight of the RT[clubcab] was running 13.80's-90's when I sold it ,this being after the rebuild and computer upgrade and true dual exhausts and different cats,couldve spent a 1/2 of the money and gone faster and better fuel economy with an la engine even with a 318 la..magnum heads are junk 1 in 5 maybe more are cracked and most people never know it,dont believe me inquire at a salvage yard or machine shop and get educated,if you think your jeep is a bad *** then you have no clue what bad *** is,you are probably a fan of michael jackson and pee wee herman...all Mopars have potencial if you throw enough money at it but some just respond much better, and being old school have seen the difference over the years and I will take the LA engine over the magnum every time, I will say the magnum head was a good design just the factory ones were junk,aftermarket ones had better features not prone to cracking...and if you think 'killing' 03-04 mustangs is such a feat then you really are a beginer and you make me laugh at your ignorance...doo dah...ding ding...

The head cracking is no big deal, doesn't effect anything most of the time. So you think a flat cam motor is better then a roller cam? There aren't that many differences between a magnum and an LA but the changes to the magnum were improvements not steps backward. Why on earth would Dodge go through a bunch of work to make it worse?

helliphinon8, grow up. You post was childish, ridiculous, uncalled for. The are much better ways of getting you opinion across without being a prick. You obviously wanted a reaction with your wording, and yay you got one didn't you. Either your a kid or someone who loves drama, either way, you can take that attitude to another forum that puts up with it, cause we don't need it here.

Oh and the jeep Magnus 5.9 stock is 245 horse and like 300tq. That's the motor I put in the 73 I had, and even with the stock beer keg intake (plus headers) that sucker ran awesome in stock form!

Really?? You must not be too bright...or know much or done much in the smblk world of mopar,try a la engine 360 with same combos and see what that does for your jeepster,the 360 magnum in my dakota was torquey for what it was and the weight of the RT[clubcab] was running 13.80's-90's when I sold it ,this being after the rebuild and computer upgrade and true dual exhausts and different cats,couldve spent a 1/2 of the money and gone faster and better fuel economy with an la engine even with a 318 la..magnum heads are junk 1 in 5 maybe more are cracked and most people never know it,dont believe me inquire at a salvage yard or machine shop and get educated,if you think your jeep is a bad *** then you have no clue what bad *** is,you are probably a fan of michael jackson and pee wee herman...all Mopars have potencial if you throw enough money at it but some just respond much better, and being old school have seen the difference over the years and I will take the LA engine over the magnum every time, I will say the magnum head was a good design just the factory ones were junk,aftermarket ones had better features not prone to cracking...and if you think 'killing' 03-04 mustangs is such a feat then you really are a beginer and you make me laugh at your ignorance...doo dah...ding ding...
RB ,FWIW: You do realize,the 03/04 Cobra's,are supercharged. A pulley change,and a easy 11 second E.T. Just pointing out ,a reality.

-
Back