Durango 5.9 Magnum R/T any advantage over any other 5.9 Magnum

-

lee g

Reaction score
Was browsing through a local junkyard and spotted a Durango 5.9 Magnum R/T with a clean engine and relatively low miles. Been thinking about the junkyard 360 articles for my next project. Is there any advantage of the 5.9 Magnums in R/T's over any other 5.9 magnum?

I don't think there any difference with the engine itself maybe a different computer tuning, the 5.9 in my Grand Cherokee needs super gas and from what I understand is cause a more aggressive tuning I think same thing with the R/T.

Ok. I tried searching on the Internet and couldn't really find anything.thanks.

I think it might have slightly bigger cam, but still tiny compared to the stuff most people around here would even consider. Thinking about keeping the FI?

If I get it I will put a new intake on and a carburetor

According to the guys over at the Dakota-Durango forum there is no difference in the plain 5.9 and the R/T 5.9 , all the same.

Everything I've read tells me the production 5.9 cam is the same as the one used in the 300 hp crate engine, not the 380 hp.

Everything I've read tells me the production 5.9 cam is the same as the one used in the 300 hp crate engine, not the 380 hp.

The 300hp create is a magnum long block dressed like an LA and a dual plane M1 4 bbl intake. Apparently with headers they Dyno 320hp. 380hp has an M1 single plane and something like 286 .501 cam and Dyno 400-420 hp.

If I was doing a magnum I'd probably go with 750 Air Gap
Headers, re ground 268 cam and port and mill the heads.

Had a 98 dakota rt,360 same as any other 360..absolutely no difference..had it rebuilt at 89k miles due to broken crank,cracked head...thats when I found out no difference at all..so I had it bored,new pistons,cam/springs,crank and new heads[stock] etc..ran decent for what it was,not a big fan of the magnum motors...give me an la anyday...

Had a 98 dakota rt,360 same as any other 360..absolutely no difference..had it rebuilt at 89k miles due to broken crank,cracked head...thats when I found out no difference at all..so I had it bored,new pistons,cam/springs,crank and new heads[stock] etc..ran decent for what it was,not a big fan of the magnum motors...give me an la anyday...

On the money.....

I second that one, I bought a 2001 r/t new and it is exactly the same as any other 5.9. I have driven it everyday since I bought it, and these motors run out of wind at about 4800 or so. I did do the CAI and the hughes/performer rpm SMPI intake. Very worth while change if staying FI. Better gas mileage and same low end with much better past 3000 RPM. Keep in mind that I do have true duel exhaust. It is fairly stock and I absolutely love it, tow almost anything and decent power. Good choice and hope your build goes well. I would call Hughes engines, they were very good to me and knew exactly what they are talking about.

Not a big fan of the magnum motors huh? I have a '98 grand Cherokee 5.9 limited. This thing killls 2003-2004 mustang gt's everyday. Mine is all stock with 197,000 miles on it. This ***** still hauls ***. This makes me a fan. Your Dakota must've been gay and infested with AIDS. Sorry you feel that way. I'm planning on putting this motor in un-touched, other than carb and intake, into my '69 dart, then I'll really be a fan! L.A.'s are junk. Wake up and embrace modern technology fossil..... lol.

I had a Durango R/T and the only thing that was different besides the interior and some badging was the wheel size and the R/T's had 4.10 gears. I had a 2000 Dakota with a 4.7 that would kick the R/T's ***.

Not a big fan of the magnum motors huh? I have a '98 grand Cherokee 5.9 limited. This thing killls 2003-2004 mustang gt's everyday. Mine is all stock with 197,000 miles on it. This ***** still hauls ***. This makes me a fan. Your Dakota must've been gay and infested with AIDS. Sorry you feel that way. I'm planning on putting this motor in un-touched, other than carb and intake, into my '69 dart, then I'll really be a fan! L.A.'s are junk. Wake up and embrace modern technology fossil..... lol.

Really really thats just rude

I'd give the nod to LA engines also, block wise you have more choices of heads to run and the LA heads have more power potential (porting) over factory magnums.

I also have 5.9 jeep and it definitely fast and there's no doubt that's the magnum engines have more stock HP.
Compared to its closes rival the roller LA both have lame cam. Magnums have more CR don't know how close it comes to its spec CR. Serpentine belt, better exhaust, CR
Electric fan etc... makes up for some of the 50 or so hp difference but most must come from the better Performance the magnum head has in stock form.
I don't know why people insist to talk about them like there 2 different engines the main difference is the rocker system and how it's oiled. The only other difference is its balancing and intake bolt angles.

I had a Durante R/T and the only thing that was different besides the interior and some badging was the wheel size and the R/T's had 4.10 gears. I had a 2000 Dakota with a 4.7 that would kick the R/T's ***.

I had a 2000 Dakota R/T that would kick the 4.7s butt. Your Dakota was quicker then the Durango R/T because the durango is a big heavy 4x4.
Some 4.7 5 speeds were close to an RT but those 5 speeds are truck tranny not performance 5 speeds.

Still, the RT came standard with a 5.9, but it was the same 5.9 you could order in other stuffm the only way to get the 5.9 in a regular or extended cab Dakota was with the RT package. The 4 door or the durango could get a 5.9 without the RT package.

I think the Dakota I had was just exceptional. You know how you get that one car out of every 50 or so that everything is just "right" about them? My son found this 2000 Dakota, standard cab, 4.7 automatic, Posi rear, on Craigslist for $750.While we were looking at it another guy showed up and started checking it out. The owner said the trans was going bad, wouldn't shift out of first. Since my shop was literally 5 blocks away I said I would take it and we limped it home. Pulled the pan and ran a couple of tests and it ended up being a $28 sensor that was keeping it from shifting. I ended up driving it for a few months and it just ran really good. Great acceleration, felt like a 340 Duster or something. Shifted hard and drove out great. It even got 19+ mpg. If it was an extended cab I would probably still own it. Stuck it on Craigslist for $3700 and the first guy who looked took it. I didn't even deal on the price, he just paid me and said it was far and away the nicest truck he had seen.

Really really thats just rude

Rude???? Since when has truth and fact been considered as rude? Oh, that's right. If you say something that more than one person disagrees with its rude or there are 29 assholes that are outraged about stupid little things. Come on, we're adults, so act like it you soft pusscake.

If you can't figure out that saying "Your Dakota must've been gay and infested with AIDS." is rude then i'm sorry but you're simply a fuckwit.

-
Back