Durango and your opinions needed

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
hey all. As some know im trying to sell my ram. Have a offer for a Durango R/T decent miles and good shape. Trade and a bit of cash to me. Anyway, love to know from all you great members anything I should look for? worry about? Thanks in advance Edd

I've heard nothing but good things about the Durango from friends......a Mercedes in Dodge clothing.

What year?

My 2000 Dak R/T has been the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Biggest issue so far has been within the last 2 years (starting at about 130,000 miles) a chronic sludgy rust issue in the cooling system leading to multiple water pump and freeze plug failures plus a rad and now a heater core.

Other than that it's pretty much been normal wear items, although it does seem to go through belt tensioners and power lock solenoids, and the cruise has never worked right in the 55-65 mph range.

If those are the worst things for pushing 145,000, that's no sweat in my book.

Don't know about Mercedes in dodge clothing but the 5.9 dakota and Durango both suffered from tranny issues. Just put a tranny in my brothers 01 RT 100k miles. Aside from that they are good rides. Just make sure it wasn't used as a primary tow vehical. Good way to check is to see if there was an electric brake controller installed under the dash. If there was and somebody took it out you will see a couple of screw holes usually in the knee panel under the dash. That's how I've always gauged if a truck or SUV was used to haul something heavy enough to necessitate electric brakes. Been in the trailer business a looong time so I've seen and experienced the wear and tear hauling has on vehical components. Good luck man

my 06 hemi Durango is a very pleasant and dependable ride, it has pulled my boat up and down the hills/ 7 and 9% grades without a hicup. the best SUV we have ever owned.
won't trade it for nothing.

I just passed 200,000 on my Dakota, the wife's Durango ('98) has 275,000+ miles. Same stock non rebuilt trannies.

The only thing I do not like about these vehicles are the under hood brake lines that have an issue with rotting out. Another cave eat I have crossed in 2 out of 3 full size Dodge trucks I have in the stable are the anti lock module located on the drivers Inner fender rearward in the compartment. 2 out of 3 have gone south. This lights up a couple lights on the dash board. The trucks still pass inspection though.

Otherwise, the trucks are excellent!

I have a 99 5.9 r46 trans. At about 150000 miles PCM failed I believe that in turn dumped the signal to the trans pressure governor valve and potentially caused the trans failure. Had trans and converter rebuilt. Also have replaced brake line to rear and both lines going to rear wheels. Another issue was the intake plenum gasket (very common on magnum engines). Replaced intermediate steering shaft (also common) and also rebuilt complete front suspension (ball joints tie rods etc) engine wise replaced timing chain due to anti freeze leak between timing cover and block (was in there anyways) Also have replaced both front hub bearings. I love the vehicle though. Rides nice and after suspension rebuild handles well. (Replaced control arm bushings with poly eurathane).

I love my 99 SLT - bought it for $1,000 had 210k on it.. did typical maintenance to it it hadn't had for a long time and it lasted 18,000 miles.. trans fried finally from a sticky caliper BUT everything else worked but the A/C - all that needs is a charge though

It's a 360/46RE (electronic 4 speed 727) trans 3.55 gears, has a superchips 87oct tune, CAI, and Magnaflow 3" catback

Things to look for in them-

1. Magnum 318/360's are known for cracked factory heads that are usually found by miss fires that won't go away - (mine has a cyl.5 miss that will not go away) it can sound like it's cam'd at idle- there is a company making brand new castings on eBay IIRC

2. There is a plate on the under side of the intake manifold that is known for filling the intake with oil - there are billet plates on eBay to fix it

3. The sure grips in the rear axles wear out fast - there are clutch kits to rebuild them

4. NEVER use the OD when driving below 40mph (has push button on gear shifter) if you do you will fry the OD band/clutches in the trans and it will not work

5. check the play in the rag joint going from the steering column to the steering box/rack - they're HARD to find OEM new..

I plan on doing a built trans, new top end, Hemifever SCT tune, and a small turbo mounted behind the front bumper on the passenger side

I have a 2000 Durango in White/grey-slate interior that will get parted out soon. Let me know what you may want/need. It has heavy front end damage. The hood and drivers fender are wrecked. No bumper or lower valance. Drivers door panel pirates already.
Engine spoken for.

Magnum 318/360's are known for cracked factory heads that are usually found by miss fires that won't go away - (mine has a cyl.5 miss that will not go away) it can sound like it's cam'd at idle- there is a company making brand new castings on eBay IIRC

That is what happened to mine..put new heads on it and it blew the bearings around the crank..wish I had know about this..

I loved my '02 SLT Durango. Good vehicle. I towed my bass boat with it no problem (4.7L). With regular maintenance, they last forever. Key words are "regular maintenance". If the previous owner kept up on it, should be a good deal. I just traded mine in, back in March, w/160K miles on it. Still ran great.

I have been in touch with him and so far so good. Have to get a meet up point set up. We are a ways from each other. Will let you know and if it goes good will post some pics:cheers:

-
Back