Duster Front Drum/Disk Conversion Questions

-

Larry Brown

Lil Mopar Guy
Reaction score
I've been looking on Classic Industries for a disk brake conversion set. All I've done is confuse myself more, lol. I see all these options for electric, manual and power disk brakes (All ranging from $500 to $3000). I'm looking to use my car as a Sunday driver, not a race car. I will have a Big Block in the car (so extra weight is the worry). So What are the differences and what would you recommend as my best bet for front disk brakes? (I would rather try not to break the bank!) Thanks All!

Switched over from drums to Wilwood disc on my '70 duster some of the best money I ever spent and took weight off the front end..

I've been looking on Classic Industries for a disk brake conversion set. All I've done is confuse myself more, lol. I see all these options for electric, manual and power disk brakes (All ranging from $500 to $3000). I'm looking to use my car as a Sunday driver, not a race car. I will have a Big Block in the car (so extra weight is the worry). So What are the differences and what would you recommend as my best bet for front disk brakes? (I would rather try not to break the bank!) Thanks All!
Look into scarebird brakes and research theirs as you need to change master cylinder proportioning valve lines and if you want you have you will be able to use most existing wheels by using a disc brake and rotor hardware you need to make fit,Most wilwood or classic require larger wheels to accommodate caliper size.If you were lucky to be 1971 or newer most chrysler had larger bolt pattern or can accomodate more easily as wheels were 5x4.5 as opposed to 5x4 inches as many earlier models .Your model axle package will affect your decision.I also have drum on 1970 duster and believe i will go with scarebird as it will let me keep rally 14 inch and perhaps is easier to find parts to complete conversion.If you need more read on here and moparts as your model wheels and availability of junkyard parts affect choice,

what year is your car?

I used the SSBC kit on my '71 Dart GT. Very complete kit. Allows you to use 5 on 4" (small bolt pattern) or 5 on 4 1/2" (large bolt pattern) wheels. ~$830 from Mancini about 12 years ago. I would use them again.

If it were my car. I'd just with a 73-up style disc brake set up and be done with it. Perfect for what you are doing. No need for power brakes either. Call dr. Diff a call. He will have what you need.

Gazillions of posts here asking the same question every week. Read up. With a big-block, a vacuum booster won't fit. Most use manual MC, but a few use hydro-boost.

If it were my car. I'd just with a 73-up style disc brake set up and be done with it. Perfect for what you are doing. No need for power brakes either. Call dr. Diff a call. He will have what you need.

I agree. Unless your stuck on keeping the small bolt pattern.
FMJ/late B discs work too and much more likely to find them.
Pretty simple stuff.

-
Back