Duster restoration questions

-

Austinsguns

Reaction score
The car that I will be completely redoing is a numbers matching 71 340 car b5 blue. I want to keep it very close to stock when I go through it.

I have a 71 Duster parts car with a front bench seat with armrest/head rests. I really like this seat over the plain bench.
I am considering using this seat to replace the regular bench that my 340 car has in it now.

Couple of questions:
If I redo this car and use the bench seat with the armrest instead of the original. Will it affect the value not being what is depicted on the fender tag?

It has all blue interior originally, I am considering changing the seat and door panel colors to all white. I think this would look sharp with the b5 blue and white 340 stripes. Is this a bad idea also?

And where can I find a nice seat cover for this bench with the armrest and headrests?

Thanks
Austin

If your concerned with the value being effected figure it will subtract from the value of the car what it will cost to redo it "correct"

Changing the seat panels and door panels while not really hard isnt the cheapest. Some of those bench seat covers get expensive. But its your car so do it how you want it.

The door panels and seats will have to be redone regardless. The interior is rough.

Like I said. Your car, do what you want. In the end its only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it anyway and most A body guys are really worried about them being 100% correct.

Value is subjective.
If you plan on keeping the car, do it the way you want and enjoy.
If you plan on reselling it, then do it correctly as per the broadcast sheet and fender tag.
Remember, that restoring it to stock specs takes a lot of money and effort.
Modifying it to your tastes will be generally cheaper and more of a fun car to drive and enjoy as a whole.
Don't plan on getting all of your money out of it if you do a big buck resto.
A lot of it depends on your real skills and how deep your pockets are.
Very nice matching numbers '71 Duster 340 cars can be had for 25 grand or less. A little more if it's a 4 speed.
My two cents for what it's worth.

Go for it and you can get seat covers from Legendary auto interiors.I wish I had the arm rest bench seat in my Duster.It is more comfy than the standard seat.

Usually, Legendary is the go to place for Mopar interiors. Even if they don't have exactly what you want, they can make it for you if they have the patterns but it will be more $$$. (special or non stock colors for instance)
Their catalog is also a good reference to show what was originally available for your car. There are also many vendors that sell their stuff so shop around once you find what you want.

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/2187/DUSTER-340-70-73/catalog.html

My opinions: if you truly do restore the car but take a couple privileges, make sure you keep the original parts in case a future owner wants to go back. Unless you are specifically re-doing this car for judged show competition, adding or altering factory options typically won't hurt you.

-
Back