Duster Survivor Radiator Dilemma

-
Bob at Glen Ray quoted me a good price to recondition my radiator. I'll be sending it off tomorrow.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Base cooling with 318 is a 19" core w/shroud (looks like that's what you have).

HD cooling with 318 is a 26" core w/shroud.

Base cooling with /6 is also 19" core, but w/o shroud.

HD cooling for /6 is 22" core w/shroud.

If you buy one, make sure you get the right one.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Base cooling with 318 is a 19" core w/shroud (looks like that's what you have).

HD cooling with 318 is a 26" core w/shroud.

Base cooling with /6 is also 19" core, but w/o shroud.

HD cooling for /6 is 22" core w/shroud.

If you buy one, make sure you get the right one.

That looks right. I've decided to have the original radiator reconditioned by Glen-Ray. Thanks to baracus and others for recommending them. Bob at Glen-Ray also concurs with using the 180 stat.

That looks right. I've decided to have the original radiator reconditioned by Glen-Ray. Thanks to baracus and others for recommending them. Bob at Glen-Ray also concurs with using the 180 stat.

I've heard nothing but good things about Glen-Ray also. Sounds like you'll be happy.

Sweet car.

Leave the original pump in there if it looks good, many of the replacements do not look like the originals.

Radiator is on its way to Bob at Glen-Ray hope it arrives undamaged. I had UPS box it and I insured it.

As I understand, the "fail safe" thermostats jam open when they overheat, by design. From then on, you have an always open "no T-stat" and the resulting poor mileage and extra engine wear. I wouldn't use one.

As I understand, the "fail safe" thermostats jam open when they overheat, by design. From then on, you have an always open "no T-stat" and the resulting poor mileage and extra engine wear. I wouldn't use one.

Not true.... if their is a failure it does stay in the OPEN position instead of slamming shut to OVERHEAT the motor and fry it.... open will allow you to make it where your going and change it instead of calling the tow truck...

nice...if that turns out to be the price let us know... mine probably could use going through...

FROM STANT i stand corrected... i wonder why they sold them before as i was saying.. thats the selling point that hooked ,e on them years ago.... bad stant..bad!

Does Stant have a fail safe thermostat?
All thermostats will fail in either a closed or open position; there is no such thing as a thermostat that will fail in a “safe” position. Although some brands may claim a thermostat fails in a safe position, it simply locks itself open while it is in a full stroke open position. It will not spring open if it fails in a closed position.

nice...if that turns out to be the price let us know... mine probably could use going through...

Keep in mind that my radiator came out of car with only 10,800 miles on it. The radiator is in great shape except that the solder has failed due to age. They are going to clean/rod it, resolder everything, and paint it. It should be like new when I get it back.

Bob at Glen-Ray is awesome to deal with.

I notice on my UPS tracking that it was delivered to them two hours ago.

I'll post pics of the finished work when I get it back.

-
Back