Duster Suspension Rebuild

-

gold75duster

Reaction score
I am in the procees of compiling parts to rebuild the front and rear suspension on my 75 Duster.

I have a 408 stroker with a 904 tranny and an 8.25" rear end with 3:55's.

I am running 215/60/15's in the front and 255/60/15's in the rear.

Car was originally a 318 car with no AC.

It's really sloppy right now and I want to firm jup the suspension so I can actually go around corners without beating the crap out of my kidneys.

The car is going to be used for street cruising so I don't want anything too harsh for ride quality bur definately want something firmed than stock.

I am currently looking at the following set up:

Steer & Gear extra firm steering box
Hellwig tubualr front sway bar
Hellwig rear sway bar
Torsion bars size????
Rear leafs????

I have seen the Firm Feel quick ratio idler & pitman arm combo. Anybody know if this is worth the dough? Will it clear a 360 LA block with Hedman shorty headers? I have called and emailed Firm Feel but have received no response.

I had the front end gone through about 6 months ago and it was all solid, but as most of the components are older is it worth rebuilding? Will a polygraphite bushing kit cause a harsh ride and / or impose undue stress on the front suspension?

I also need some input on torsion bar sizing and rear leafs.

The car has the original rear leafs and the rear end sits a bit lower probably due to the age of the springs, however I actually like it's stance. Is there a way to get a firmer leaf without jacking the back end up? I have heard of swapping the front / rear leaf hangers? I will be having a local shop install them so I don't want to get too fancy on fabricating anything as I will be paying by the hour.

Can anybody recommend what rear springs I should be considering for a firm / controlled ride without it being harsh or having the rear end breaking loose on me?

Also, I have seen 1" torion bars for a pretty good price from Just Suspension (about $200). Is a 1" torsion bar going to give a harsh ride?

I have the front end cranked down right now to give it a bit of a rake. Is a 1" toriosn bar going to sit higher? Will I be able to adjust the ride height back down to what it is now?

Any suggestions on torions bar / leaf spring combos is greatly appreciated.

Also, if anybody is running a similar set up pictures of the car to see ride height would be great.

Basically I am looking for a firm ride without being harsh, decent cornering and a ride stance that doesn't mkae the car look like a scared rabbit.

I realise this is a lot of questions but I really want to get this right as my wallet (and marriage) probably won't allow me to do this again.

Thanks guys!

I am in the procees of compiling parts to rebuild the front and rear suspension on my 75 Duster.

I have a 408 stroker with a 904 tranny and an 8.25" rear end with 3:55's.

I am running 215/60/15's in the front and 255/60/15's in the rear.

Car was originally a 318 car with no AC.

It's really sloppy right now and I want to firm jup the suspension so I can actually go around corners without beating the crap out of my kidneys.

The car is going to be used for street cruising so I don't want anything too harsh for ride quality bur definately want something firmed than stock.

I am currently looking at the following set up:

Steer & Gear extra firm steering box
Hellwig rear sway bar
Torsion bars size????
Rear leafs????

I have seen the Firm Feel quick ratio idler & pitman arm combo. Anybody know if this is worth the dough? Will it clear a 360 LA block with Hedman shorty headers? I have called and emailed Firm Feel but have received no response.

I had the front end gone through about 6 months ago and it was all solid, but as most of the components are older is it worth rebuilding? Will a polygraphite bushing kit cause a harsh ride and / or impose undue stress on the front suspension?

I also need some input on torsion bar sizing and rear leafs.

The car has the original rear leafs and the rear end sits a bit lower probably due to the age of the springs, however I actually like it's stance. Is there a way to get a firmer leaf without jacking the back end up? I have heard of swapping the front / rear leaf hangers? I will be having a local shop install them so I don't want to get too fancy on fabricating anything as I will be paying by the hour.

Can anybody recommend what rear springs I should be considering for a firm / controlled ride without it being harsh or having the rear end breaking loose on me?

Also, I have seen 1" torion bars for a pretty good price from Just Suspension (about $200). Is a 1" torsion bar going to give a harsh ride?

I have the front end cranked down right now to give it a bit of a rake. Is a 1" toriosn bar going to sit higher? Will I be able to adjust the ride height back down to what it is now?

Any suggestions on torions bar / leaf spring combos is greatly appreciated.

Also, if anybody is running a similar set up pictures of the car to see ride height would be great.

Basically I am looking for a firm ride without being harsh, decent cornering and a ride stance that doesn't mkae the car look like a scared rabbit.

I realise this is a lot of questions but I really want to get this right as my wallet (and marriage) probably won't allow me to do this again.

Thanks guys!

Steer & Gear extra firm steering box -That or Firm Feel
Hellwig rear sway bar
Torsion bars size???? -1.00" should be fine
Rear leafs???? -Replacement 340

Some better shocks like the Hotchkis Bilstein ones will make it ride better. The KYB's will make it ride stiffer.

The Quick Ratio longer steering arms don't really work with A-bodies. I know of one 68-70 type 340 exhaust manifold car running the quick ratio pitman. It took some tight headpipe bending. Probably hurt flow a little. They WILL NOT fit a car with stock 340 headpipes. They are like 1.5-2" longer. Look at your car and see if you have 1.5-2" behind the pitman arm to the exhaust right now.

The Headman shorty headers don't really fit. You will have to modify the headpipe ends IIRC. So Firm Feel will not really know if they will fit because it will depends on your modified headpipe ends.

Thanks Guys for the response.

MoparDude, sweet ride, I wish I was in a position to go full bore with tubular UCA and the rest, but for what I am doing I do not think it is necessary.

Any thoughts on torsion bar size or reaf leafs?

Also, would a polygraphite kit for the front end be too harsh?

AutoXCuda,

I hear you on the headers, hude hassle getting them in and when I did I relaised I had to go to a smaller started just to get a pipe up to the drivers side. But at that point I was not putting the stock manifolds back on!

I will crawl underneath and check the clearance for the pitman arm in the morning.

Thanks Guys!

Once I get this thing all sorted out I will post some pics.

-
Back