Duster tire suggestions?

-

BlindFury70

383Duster
Reaction score
I have Weld Racing Rims on my 70 Duster right now.
Mickey Thompson slicks on the back and Good Year Integrity skinnies on the front.
I want to go for a more stock Mopar look so I was thinking Rallye rims and either BF Goodrich T/A Radials or Cooper Cobra Radials. Thinking about keeping tire sizes the same all the way around (225/60/R14). What do you guys think about this setup?

the 225/60/14s look pretty good and fit good. a bit wide for the factory with rally rims they fit but the inside wears a bit more than the outside.

Also that specific size also seems to be harder to find and a tad more expensive than some other sizes close to it from what I have seen. see what the prices on tires one size smaller or bigger are. who knows you might be able to save a few bucks.

I had the BFG T/A's in that exact size and did not think they anything special. I would love to try the coopers out.

I went with 215/75/14 front , and instead of spinning like crazy and loosing street races, i went with nitto DR 275/60/15's on back the rims are 15x8 with the 4 7/8" back space i have the 3/4" spring kit. for the extra $100 its nice to be able to launch hard and straight!

Attachments

• securedownload (640x480).jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 324
  • demon new 003 (1280x853).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 303
  • demon new 005 (1280x853).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 310
I have Weld Racing Rims on my 70 Duster right now.
Mickey Thompson slicks on the back and Good Year Integrity skinnies on the front.
I want to go for a more stock Mopar look so I was thinking Rallye rims and either BF Goodrich T/A Radials or Cooper Cobra Radials. Thinking about keeping tire sizes the same all the way around (225/60/R14). What do you guys think about this setup?

Go with a 215/70-14 BFG. Real close to the factory F70-14.
These will fill the wheel wells much better than a 60 series.
Also will fit your 14 x 5.5" wheels nicely.

60 series tires look better on 15's.

Here is a 215/70-14 on my 70 Dart for reference.

Attachments

• Hart Basketball 036.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 326
Thanks for the input guys, I certainly have a better frame of reference now.
Also, Johnny Dart and SirDan, how much were those baby moon hubcaps, and are the rims stock OEM?

I am running 235/60/14 BFG TA's all the way around on my 71 Demon.

Attachments

• 100_3875.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 291
  • 100_3929.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 270
  • 100_3930.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 269
  • 100_3857.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 288
I'm running 215/70-14 bfg on the front with factory 5.5 rallye and 255/60-15 bfg on the rear with a 15x8 rallye with 4 1/8" backspacing. No leaf springs have been moved. Everything is factory and there is no rubbing and everything wears even.

Also, Johnny Dart and SirDan, how much were those baby moon hubcaps, and are the rims stock OEM?

My rims and center dog dish hubcaps are police edition on 80s mopars from what I understand. i think most center dog dish mopar hubcaps go for around 50-60 bucks in driver condition.

Johnny dart looks like he has period correct stock steel wheels and red line dog dish caps. those could be had factory on darts.

I vote for the American made Cooper Cobras.. That way you help support my family.. I build them for a living in Texarkana Arkansas...

I vote for the American made Cooper Cobras.. That way you help support my family.. I build them for a living in Texarkana Arkansas...

Well I am definitely getting Cooper Cobras now... I just need to decide what rims, I really want the stock steel ones with dog dishes.:thumbup:

Rims on my car are factory 14" x 5.5" small bolt steel rims. They came on 340 cars.
The hubcaps are refered to as dog dish hubcaps. The caps on my car are "red-line" dog dishes, which came on Dodges. If you were to go to a dog dish hubcap on your Duster, the correct cap would say "Plymouth Division" on them.

Your other option would be factory rallye wheels, which would also measure 14" x 5.5".

Well I am definitely getting Cooper Cobras now... I just need to decide what rims, I really want the stock steel ones with dog dishes.:thumbup:

Finding a set of stock 14" steelies may be a bit of a problem. However, a set of 15s may be easier to find. The Chrysler 5th Avenues I've seen in Pik 'n Pulls have nice wide BBP 15" wheels on them. These wheels would be visually like those that Johnny Dart has on his ride. You could use the 5th Avenue wheel with a 215/60-15 tire all-around with no rubbing. The cop car wheels are out there, but they are going to be harder to find if you use salvage yards as a source. Supposedly Wheel Vintiques makes a repro of this wheel, but I've never seen it.

Rims on my car are factory 14" x 5.5" small bolt steel rims. They came on 340 cars.
The hubcaps are refered to as dog dish hubcaps. The caps on my car are "red-line" dog dishes, which came on Dodges. If you were to go to a dog dish hubcap on your Duster, the correct cap would say "Plymouth Division" on them.

Your other option would be factory rallye wheels, which would also measure 14" x 5.5".

Thanks...yeah I had a brainfart when I couldn't think of the name "dog dish"!!

My friend's '73 Charger has those stock steel wheels and I love the look of them. I'm going to try to find ones that will fit my Duster otherwise I have some rallyes lined up.

Also, the Mickey Thompsons that are on the car right now hit the inside of the wheel well when I hit a dip/bump, would lifting the car with a shackle kit fix this? The reason I ask is because it's hitting on the INSIDE of the well, not the top. Thanks again.

Thanks...yeah I had a brainfart when I couldn't think of the name "dog dish"!!

My friend's '73 Charger has those stock steel wheels and I love the look of them. I'm going to try to find ones that will fit my Duster otherwise I have some rallyes lined up.

Also, the Mickey Thompsons that are on the car right now hit the inside of the wheel well when I hit a dip/bump, would lifting the car with a shackle kit fix this? The reason I ask is because it's hitting on the INSIDE of the well, not the top. Thanks again.

Lets make it clear what your working on. 70 Duster...Small bolt pattern ?

What kind/size rims and tires are you running now ? Front and back.

Sounds like the Micky Thompsons are on the back rubbing. Little more backspace could cure this as long as they dont hit the leaf springs.

Thought you were going stock....Lol

Lets make it clear what your working on. 70 Duster...Small bolt pattern ?

What kind/size rims and tires are you running now ? Front and back.

Sounds like the Micky Thompsons are on the back rubbing. Little more backspace could cure this as long as they dont hit the leaf springs.

Thought you were going stock....Lol

Want to go stock LOOKING. Nothing wrong with a few surprises behind that look.

-
Back