Duster Twister

-

ibleedmoparts

Reaction score
Hey all
Quick question- What options up made the duster twister package in 1971 and 1972. Also what were the differences in the two years? I looked all over the net and couldn't find an options listing, any ideas? pictures? Also looking for a source to see all options available on Dusters if i went to a dealer to buy one. Thanks in advance

Floyd

I remember a sharkstooth grille, Twister side stripes, and a floor shifter with manual transmissions. The automatic was on the column. I wasn't too impressed with the car since it was just Duster 340 looks on a stripper slant or 318 Duster. There wasn't enough content to get me to spring for the package instead of the floor shift option. About the only difference between a '71 and a '72 I can remember is the tail lights and the side marker lights. Sorry I can't recall more.

The package had Everything the 340 has but without the 340. It was available with the 225 six and the 318 only. The 340 grill was standard and the strobe hood treatment with the scoops optional. It also had dual rally mirrors, wheel lip and drip rail moldings, deluxe seat trim, whitewalls and rallye road wheels with no trim rings. All twisters had the 340 front sway bar and heavy duty rear springs. Hope this helps. Ed

Now here is another question, I know in 72' the hood scoops chsnged to the center one piece in place of the two seperate, which did the 72' twister have? I am having a heck of a time finding info anywhere. Thanks all!

Now here is another question, I know in 72' the hood scoops chsnged to the center one piece in place of the two seperate, which did the 72' twister have? I am having a heck of a time finding info anywhere. Thanks all!

71-72 Duster never had a single snorkel style scoop. The single snorkel in 72 was a Demon/Dart line piece

Always the two scoops on Dusters, like on a 69-70 Coronet R/T, 69-70 Superbee or 70 Swinger.

sweet that answers my question, does anyone have the proper dimensions for an install? And that makes sense, dart/demon line...i had a 73 sport, i shoulda know...Thanks guys!

If you have a 71 or 72 Duster like mine you already have the holes to mount the scoops under your hood. Look at the underside of your hood. In the back
bottom you will see the holes where the studs line up. All you have to do is make a template of the factory scoops studs location. Find the center of the holes at the bottom of your hood drill them out from the bottom. Close the hood lay your template, Right and left, line them up with the first holes you made, rear holes location. Mark the rest of the hole locations and drill those out. Then mount your scoops. Making sure the right goes on the pass side and the left the drivers. I have seen some people mount them wrong. And your done. Ed

Here is a diagram I borrowed from this site that somebody had posted a while ago. Hope it helps, it really helped me.

hoodscoopmounting.jpg

The spots where you go through the frame structure, grab a 3/8" or 1/4" drive socket that fits snugly in the hole and use it as a guide to get your holes centered. Makes it easier than shooting int he dark.

I drug this 71 Twister out from behind a barn a couple years ago where it sat since '85.
ba31.jpg

cc21.jpg

Ed
Your car is pretty hot! Just out of curiosity what is deluxe seat trim? My car is a plane jane 318 w/air but have always been fond of the twister package. I convinced my wife to let me paint it Vit C just like my fathers 70' 340 duster he had years ago. but i think i'll go with as many twister design cues as possible. i'm juggling a low mile, 76' 400 i got when my uncle passed. But the 318 runs good, but there seems to be power in #'s. Thanks a ton
Floyd

recently purchased this 71 pretty cheap. needs quarter work and floor work. runs and drives 318. mostly orig paint

000_0490.jpg

Nice, if you have any more pictures that would be awewsome...i'm compiling twister pictures so anyone who has one i would appreciate a post...inside, out etc...Now here is a question for the masses...Could you option a twister w/ fender mounted turn signals?

Thanks a million
Floyd

Floyd, deluxe seat trim has the wood grain across the dash. and has (depending on what year) the same wood grain on the doors. 1970 has what looks like a square block style on the doors. 1971 has two different types I believe. A vertical wood grain bar like on my 72 or Horizontal from front to back. I know 73 has both styles optional. Cars with this option also had metal trim in the upper front seat backs and rear seat armrests with ash trays. The fender mounted turn signals are supposed to come with the light group. With consists of map light (under dash), ash tray light, glove box light and steering colum light.

The '72 Twister I am getting ready to pull out of the field has the front fender mounted turn signals (the trim tag shows L31 which I believe is for those). It is an automatic but it also had a floor mounted shifter with center console and bucket seats. I think I have all the codes from the trim tag if anyone is interested...

Rg

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input, especially Ed. Look forward to seeing some twisters posted on this thread!

-
Back