duster under dash wiring help

-

mooky

Reaction score
just got a 1974 duster sb v8 car...rock solid cam from California....rolls over but wouldn't fire...checked spark and it comes and goes...checked wiring and found splice at fire wall...tried to reconnect them and heard/smelt/saw a spark pop from the drivers side under dash....found a bare open circuit board with 2 plugs..long/skinny...and a burnt resistor or such on the board....now car will do nothing at all....what is this circuit board for and can it be bypassed...thanks in advance

I'm guessing some aftermarket security crap. A pic will help.

Check the amp meter gauge.
If it fried no juice to the ignition / starter.

The idiots I bought my car off of had an aftermarket gauge running on speaker wire.

Back to the original problem before you smoked wires.
Check the amp gauge.
Check the ballast resistor, when they take a crap they act the same way, spark when cranking, dies when you let the key off.

If you connot get it running check the following:
Control box, coil, and pickup in the dizzy,

Also check the voltage in the battery and output of the alternator when you get it running.
Over charging alternator will complety fry a Mopar wiring harness.

well i tried to get a pic of the circuit board and ended up erasing my wifes pictures...not good for me...she is going to get the pic loaded for me....i have the car running by using a trigger on the starter solenoid and running power to the coil....but will not fire up the inside of the car...had a big red wire with inline fuse cut at the fire wall behind the dizzy that was taped into the wiring under the dash and has literally tried to weld itself to the fire wall....like i said pic on the way ...... do they make a good aftermarket harness for under the dash?...or do you have to use one of those "universal" hot rod wiring harness's...thanks

not trying to thread jack here, but im having a similar issue...
Just bought a 74 with a 360. It caught on fire in the same place on the harness. apparently a fuse-able link needs to be there. have a new ballast resistor in there, but something shorted out somewhere else in the dash. apparently the main power coming in through the fire wall goes directly through the amp gauge and then into the rest of the harness... im tryin to figure out how to wire into the main fuse box and bypass that to see if it solves the problem. look into that, maybe you'll find somethin that helps ya out...

I did some research and got an engine harness from this fella named bill evans in PA, evanswiring.com, good quality and price. he doesnt do dash harnesses though. year one does, just a bit more pricey.

definitely not trying to make it harder than it it is...i have found the board to be a seat belt interlock control switch...missing the covering plastic sheath...unique to the 1974....is this by passable or does someone know a vendor? any way thanks for the hints

-
Back