Dying Interior parts??

-

Golden Scamp

Reaction score
I just picked up a set of A-pillar trim in green in order to replace the busted corners in my Dart. My interior is Blue, so can anyone recommend some resources or maybe give some instruction as to how I can get rid of the green and match my light blue interior color? ThanksView attachment 7241880.jpg

I've had good luck with SEM paints. However, I would probably buy paint from Herb's Parts in this instance. They have their own line of interior paints and list a huge number of available colors.

Make sure you clean the parts very well and then use an adhesion promoter. Paint doesn't like to stick to these hard plastics. The adhesion promoter will help the paint stick. Follow the directions on the can and only spray light coats. If you take your time and spray light coats, the part won't look like it's painted...it will just look like new plastic.

Here are my Challenger kick panels. They had turned gray over the years.

Here they are after four cleanings, SEM adhesion promoter and SEM Landau black.(spray light coats)

If you have the paint code on the interior a lot of your auto paint supply stores can mix it for yor for interior panels but I'm guessing it would be cheaper in arasol can

So when cleaning, sand or no? What is going to give me the best clean before I paint? Burdar, you cleaned 4 times so how did you do it? Panels look great. I want to repeat your process.

No sanding should be necessary, especially if the A pillar trim has the grain pattern on it. I did some sanding on the smooth plastic portion of the kick panels in my 67 Barracuda to just kind of lighten the scratches and knock down any loose plastic. I then washed them with soapy water and then blew dry with my compressor. After that I rubbed the parts down real lightly with Eastwood's pre paint prep wax and greaser remover and then sprayed plastic adhesion promoter before spraying color. When spraying the color, go real light and take your time doing a whole bunch of coats. If you don't spray it on too heavy it'll look factory when you're done.

All Dyed parts last a very long time as long as your own body does not come in contact with them. I have door arm rests dyed professionally to match the interior and within a few months of grabbing them to close the doors, they must be either done over or replaced..

Your seats, you car, your choice

First was dish soap and water. Second was simple green. Third was mineral spirits. Fourth was wax/grease remover.

You should be fine with spraying the A-pillar trim. You won't be touching that. My Challenger door panels will need touch ups since the plastic is chalky under the paint. I really need new door panels but the paint is working for now.

Every time I see this post I can help but wonder if they pulled through or if they died. I painted all my interior with plastic paint. It looks great.

There is a company in Canada that produces dyes for all the major manufactures...that can do a custom match or if yiu can match it with a colour card from behr, that can do that too...available in large qtys or spray can...

ian.

clean the parts with TSP and water (trisoduim phosphate) get at home depot. wont damage the plastic.

A friend wrote these out at one time and I have always had luck following it. Hopefully you will find some wisdom in it also.

k, so ya want to change the color of some parts you have, or change the interior color all together or just make it look better. SEM as many of you know makes plastic dyes and vinyl dyes. Here are some basic guide lines for you to follow so that you can obtain good results and save some money paying someone else to do it. You should know this work is pretty easy to do if you can wield a rattle can somewhat well. The dyes are very forgiving, more so than paints. So this winter, take on this project, you CAN DO IT.

First you need to know that vinyl and plastics are slightly different. SEM makes a prep spray for plastic, and another for vinyl. Now, with that being said, I've used plastic prep for vinyl and had good results, but to play it safe, get the right prep spray for the job.

You will need the following materials.

1. SEM plastic prep.* ( or vinyl prep if your doing vinyl parts)
2. SEM Dye* in the color you choose. ( some paint houses can custom mix your colors )
3. A bunch of CLEAN rags. and several white ones for the final cleaning.
4. A soft tooth brush.
5. A soft bristle brush. ( this is used for doing door panels, seats, or kick panels, textured surfaces etc. )
6. Tac cloth, you can get this at any auto paint place.
*** depending on how much your doing will determine how many cans you will need. One can should do a complete set of door panels front and rear. Just make sure you have enough. too much is a good thing on this job.

Remove the part from the car you wish to dye and clean it up.

I can't stress enough about how much to clean the part. Use the prep spray well. It dries fairly quick, so figure that into your work pattern.

You should spray the part with the prep spray and scrubbing with the CLEAN rag and don't miss any thing at all. Use the tooth brush for hard to get to spots, and if doing vinyl, use it for the welting edges and threads in the seats. Use the brush for larger areas. Change rags often so your not just smearing stuff around and wasting the prep spray. Don't miss ANY spots at all and if your not sure, do it again. Do the entire part several times and with a WHITE cloth, do it again. If you see ANYTHING on the white rag. Do it again until the white rag is clean after you wipe it off. This is VERY IMPORTANT.

Let the part dry totally, if doing seats with thread or welting, let stand till the thread is try and use a rag along the welts to ensure it's dry and DID I MENTION CLEAN!

Once you have your part TOTALLY clean. Use the tac cloth to remove any fuzzies from the rags.

Now, as normal, shake the crap out of the dye as stated in the instructions.

If your doing something like an "A" pillar piece, spray a light coat ( tac coat ) on the piece. The dye dries pretty quick, and when dry apply another coat. Continue this until it's color is solid and not missing anything.

If your doing a seat part with welting, start off your tac coat by shooting the left and right sides of the welting so that you know the dye is getting down in there where the welting is near the seat. Do the welting ribs a couple of times lightly and then after dry, it will be time to do the whole seat.

Normally when I do seats or door panels I'll start by spraying across the sewn or pressed lines in the part. Next pass is with them, next is diagonally, and then repeat the steps again. Ending with a pattern that matches the lines on the part. Light coats work well and a good coat on the final run at it. Do allow the dye to dry between coats as the dye needs to be able to de gas.

If possible, try to do this on a warm day, or a heated area. It helps your work time greatly, but can be done in a dry area. As I said, this stuff is pretty forgiving. You will notice that after it totally dries, the textured surface will show again even if you got a little heavy on the spray in most cases. The stuff is great!

Once done, let stand for awhile till totally dry and install your part again and admire your fine work.

I've done carpets, headliners, door panels, kick panels, dash pads, A pillars, consoles, the works! You should be able to re do your complete interior of your car in a day or two.

Now, I'll say it again, don't scrimp on using the cleaner or fresh rags!

There is no need for a primer or any adhesion agent when using SEM dyes. Figure it this way, an adhesion agent or primer are what your putting on the part to stick to first, so there is no way the DYE can DYE the part if your doing that. The Dye will do exactly what it is billed to do if these instructions are followed and you CLEAN THE PART WELL. You will enjoy it for years to come.
Should there come a time where somehow you damage it, you can clean the area and blend in the color of dye again and repair it. Unless you have white, then normally the part must then be done all over.

As for doing seat belts, I've had mixed results for some reason there. So do those if you choose. I did a set of seat belts from blue to black and in the sun, they still had a gun metal look to them. I even tried boiling them in Rit dye with very limited results.

All Dyed parts last a very long time as long as your own body does not come in contact with them. I have door arm rests dyed professionally to match the interior and within a few months of grabbing them to close the doors, they must be either done over or replaced..

I'll sorta agree with this. It's my understanding that all soft vinyl is dyed.

If you re-color it, you just use vinyl dye. No prob. In theory, the only way to remove the dye is to remove the vinyl that it has soaked in to, or cover with another color.

That said, I recently bought what I thought was vinyl dye at Autozone, for doing some pads on some weight equipment. Did the job, looked great. Used the remainder on a motorcycle seat, and the coverage was horrible. Started looking, it was vinyl coating, in SUPER small letters.

Buyer beware! Dye, I'm not afraid of and know will last. Coating, not so much.

I have used dupont interior plastic and vinyl paint. You have to spray it out of a paint gun, i had done a center console lid for a dodge daytona shelby. It was a retint to match the console. My paint supplier even mixed it a little lighter, and gave me a little black tint to darken it up if need be. It bonded to the vinyl so well, and was flexible. It never cracked or wore off in the 5 years i used the car. There is a big difference between spray bomb rattle can vinyl paint and professional spray gun vinyl dye.

Hope this helps
Matt

I am planning to test dye some vinyl parts for a daily driver at the first warm snap. I can pass on to you how it goes, if you'd like?

-
Back