Dyno results - Tquad vs Holley vs Qjet - tuning issue, too rich

-
Mopar 383,
Very interesting observation, hadn't realised that. I am currently rebuilding a #9333 to go on a 455 Pontiac. Originally off an Aussie 302 Ford engine. It has the air horn holes, but the mating holes in the b/plate are plugged. No holes in the t/blades. This was the last TQ used here; following year switched to inline 6 engine with EFI.
I have seen earlier Ford TQs that had bypass air via the b/plate AND holes drilled in the blades on the same carb. Go figure....

I am still not sure where to find that brass restriction in the base palate. I dont think mine had it because i have never seen it and the one im currently building doesnt have it either. Anyone got a pic of where this is located on the baseplate?
In the basecplate above the idle mix screws, looking down into the well to the transfer slot. I only found them on LRE carbs so far

Little
Red
Express

Perhaps? That was the first designed “Sports Truck” the public was gravitating to on there own builds.

FWIW, IIRC, which this may not be a in stone fact, but….
After ether ‘72 or ‘73, the 340’s and then once the 360 received a 4bbl., they were all of the large primary verity.
I’m not 100% on this. I don’t call a TQ a big block car or small block carb, just big or small primary carb.

FWIW, IIRC, which this may not be a in stone fact, but….
After ether ‘72 or ‘73, the 340’s and then once the 360 received a 4bbl., they were all of the large primary verity.
I’m not 100% on this. I don’t call a TQ a big block car or small block carb, just big or small primary carb.
Your wrong the 72-73 340 used the small block "small primary butterflys" and so did some 360s.

Last edited:
Your wrong the 72-73 340 used the small block "small primary butterflys" and so did the 360s.
I was thinking that possibly the ‘73, which I am not sure of but would not argue against is the small primary version. The 360’s I’m pretty sure used the larger ones, BUT! As I stated, I’m not 100% on that.
So, “Mistaken” I would be.

I was thinking that possibly the ‘73, which I am not sure of but would not argue against is the small primary version. The 360’s I’m pretty sure used the larger ones, BUT! As I stated, I’m not 100% on that.
So, “Mistaken” I would be.
Wow wow wow...
Early 360 were 850.. until late 70's then they flipped between both for emission control.

Wow wow wow...
Early 360 were 850.. until late 70's then they flipped between both for emission control.
I believe it. As stated! I don’t know any of this for sure.
The best list I have seen is also flawed. The “Vannth” TQ guide. While I think the effort is excellent, I have found discrepancies. I don’t know of a better reference. If anybody knows one, do so please post it up!

Wow wow wow...

75 service manual shows TQ-9002S is a 1 1/2 in primary on the 360.

76 service manual shows 1 3/8 in on the California 360 carb TQ-9055S and 1 1/2 on the Canadian TQ-9002S and 1 1/2 primaries on the 400-440.
I stand corrected. Thank You.

75 service manual shows TQ-9002S is a 1 1/2 in primary on the 360.

76 service manual shows 1 3/8 in on the California 360 carb TQ-9055S and 1 1/2 on the Canadian TQ-9002S and 1 1/2 primaries on the 400-440.
I stand corrected. Thank You.

I don’t think your so much as corrected but just simply shown what a true mess it cam be from state to state, country to country, city to rural. Nothing is in stone is what I have found.

Im still not sure what came on the ‘74-360 engines never mind what was done state to state.

I don’t think your so much as corrected but just simply shown what a true mess it cam be from state to state, country to country, city to rural. Nothing is in stone is what I have found.

Im still not sure what came on the ‘74-360 engines never mind what was done state to state.
6453 850

Okay I'm going to throw my not sure in here, I thought that all post1970 340 cars were small primary tqs

Last edited:
It is amazing the versality of the spead bore design. Waaaaaaay back in 1967, PPntiac used the QJ on the 230 ci OHC six engine.

I have a nice 9022, 74 CA Auto 360 Truck TQ. A buddy, a few years ago wanted to see how a TQ would work on his 68 383 restored Road Runner, 4 speed. We used a Holley Street Dominator intake with the 9022 carb. That thing was brutal on that 383! The 9022 does have the large primaries.

-
Back