Dyno run parts

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
I was cruising some classifieds and occasionally I run across parts that where only run during dyno time. For instance today it was a set of lifters and a bronze bushing intermediate shaft. Im not looking to buy these parts, but I dont get something either. Im just trying to wrap my head around why these parts are swapped out so fast.

Why do a couple pulls on a dyno and then swap out the parts with something else? Is it that I just dont have the money to play like some of these people do? Could someone please explain to me why this is done.

People miss match parts all the time then get their feelings hurt when the motor is a turd on the dyno! The only part I have ever swapped after a dyno session was a 1406 eddy carb for a holley 670 avenger! I have a buddy who builds several engines based on a lot of guess work lol he has thrown more good money after bad because he has too big of an ego to ask the engine builder of 35 years what will work! Pride and ego will cost you money! People on the Internet are generally full of **** as well! I have seen several
motors on the dyno that have left 100- 150 hp at customs lolol crate engines that claim a big number but are shy when they get here!

I have always met my hp goals with my engine builder, he lets me do the research , then sits me down and brings me back to reality with fact! He has never steered me wrong!

We own our own dyno. The engine combinations that work are the result of years of trying combinations that don't work. I read a lot of stuff on the internet and know it's BS because we have done our own tests, like Dad did.

My father used to build NASCAR engines as an independent west coast engine builder. About ten years ago I meet a camshaft grinder that said, "You're Bill LaRoy's boy? How did those camshafts work? "Your dad would come into the shop and say, 'Build me a cam with this LSA, this duration and this lift.' "He would come back a week later and say, 'Now make one like this.' "And he would never tell me how the last one ran!"

I still have his cams on the shelf from the 60's, 70's and 80's. A few years ago a cam grinder from the East Coast even wanted to buy some of Dad's cams back.

We start out testing an engine for a truck and my son will say, "Hey, what about we try this?" It may be a part from Dad's stash or something new we have the money to try and maybe use later in something more appropriate.

It's not the whole answer to your question, but it is how it happens around here.

As you dial in your combo on the dyno, you sell off the new parts that you bought and then swapped out for something else.

If the lifters are flat tappet, that is one thing I would NOT buy used. Not even with five minutes run time.

So what im gathering is more money than brains??

I was just curious is all, I dont plan on buying any of these parts. I just couldnt figure out why people did this. Thanks for the input guys.

So what im gathering is more money than brains??

I was just curious is all, I dont plan on buying any of these parts. I just couldnt figure out why people did this. Thanks for the input guys.

They are trying to recoup some of their losses at your expense... :twisted:

I picked up a M1 single plane for a magnum off someone here that came off a crate motor that only had dyno time.
$170 shipped I could not send the money fast enough.

I think it could be simply a matter of them wanting more HP or Torque. Lots of things will work in theory, but when actually applied the results may vary from reality. I guess it doesnt hurt to have extra $$ either....

There's a guy on Ebay that sells a lot of dyno run cams. I wouldn't be afraid of those for one minute if any suited my needs.

dyno lifters without their cam are bad news. If a cam loses a lobe, the lifters and cam are dead. If a motor loses a bearing, the metal gets in the lifters and there are usually tossed in favor of clean new lifters. Roller lifters are another story. Bulk lifters are pretty inexpensive to a rebuilder when they buy them by the case.

-
Back