E 85 Anyone

-

72plymouthscamp

FOOSE ME
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has done this conversion after all its 105 octane and cost less than reg. unleaded fuel.

Its not as hard as people say. I run that black nylon fuel line, same filters, and pump. I ordered Quick Fuel carbs. My stuff is all high end tho.....

If you need a carb, find a place that does it. Its worth the money.

OH, and buy a E85 tester! not all E 85 is E 85, it can change alot

Im not worried about mpg after all its all about horsepower so who cares about fuel economy! Im interested in going outside the box and I think this may be it.

Plenty im pushing over 10 I know e85 likes 11 or better but I have enough to run it im constantly looking for new ways to make more power with less money the most costly thing so far is the carb.

The lower fuel mileage is because there is less BTU heat value per gal however then you can raise the comp ratio of engine to take advantage of the higher inherent octane. If you compare lower price of E85 and more power from the higher CR, that about equals the 15-20% more fuel required to equal the power of gasoline. You can pay the US farmers or the arab shieks and terrorists.

Just my 2 cents....we hear nno-stop how mileage goes down etc. We here from the pro e85 crowd, and we here from the anti E-85 crowd...I really wanted to build a corn motor before I looked into the hype and got sour! After you filter out all the bs...the 1 thing I still havent found.... A comparison of economy and power, when the engine is built to take advantage of e-85s octane rating. Yeah an 8-1 motor is gonna be ineffiecient, compared to a dino fueled engine. They always compare engines that have tunes that were optimized over 100 years of technological development for gasoline, and then throw E85 to it and call it apples to apples! I would be happy to build a 12-1 motor and run e85, my gut says it wouldnt be nearly as ineffiecient. Go for it dude, build it, and tell us how it worked for you!:finga:

You can make a lot more power running E85 and an alky engine is easier to cool,both big advantages for a racing engine. Race fuel is $8.50/gal and E85 is $2.50/gal so even if you use twice as much alky you will save money.

Alky can also be made at home...

But your MPGs go down so the cost savings is an illusion. Other than that is sounds good.
yup...
If you don't have detonation on pump premium E85 won't do anything for you.
yup again... personally I see E85 as an alternative to race gas for 12+ comp. racers. I wouldn't go E85 for a driver, but thats just me.

Now that I think of it…….. Im at almost 12.1 and never drive my car. I should look into with E85……

Running around to get 110 to mix with pump gas sucks.

Now that I think of it…….. Im at almost 12.1 and never drive my car. I should look into with E85……

Running around to get 110 to mix with pump gas sucks.

YES!!

You will make more power.But I'll guarantee you will need x2 as much ethanol. Invest in a still,lol!

That what im sayin e85 cost less than reg. unleaded and it burns cleaner I was just wondering about the fuel lines pump etc.... I know the carb has to be changed just wasnt sure about fuel lines and fuel pump.

Yep you will want to add some top end lube to the E85 as well. Alky can be hard on the rubber stuff,it's corrosive. So is gas for that matter..

There was a very good article on E85 conversion on a sb 414 mopar in Mopar Muscle magazine April 2011 edition. It was one of their cars that had a recent engine redo, called it old school. It had a high comp ratio 12:1 and had to run race fuel, but it made 500 hp on the E85. Look it up online if you don't have access to the mag. at moparmusclemagazine.com

I run it in my daily driven 83 D 250s 318; EQ heads stock 360-2bbl cam, 625CFM AFB.... gets rid of the under load part throttle ping and my truck actually does better on it than gas economy wise; I mix it; 1/3 tank E85, 2/3 tank, pump 87.

I would like to hear specifics on this. Will aluminum fuel line stand up to it? I have also heard it takes a lot bigger jets than gas in the carb. Any ratio for that. Do you run bigger jets and a richer mixture or do you need more air too. It eats braided fuel line? Is this true. I may start thinking harder about running this in my 10.5 to 1 b/b. Are aluminum heads a draw back? What has to be changed in a 3 circuit dominator?

Fuel system wise everything is as Mopar built this truck 28 years ago except that I replaced the 2 barrel with an AFB. So far I have not run over 1/3 tank of E 85 mixed with 2/3 pump 87 as they say about "too much of a good thing"... and I have so far run at least a tank or 2 of Pump 87 between using any E 85; I went on a 370 mile trip with the truck yesterday and filled up 70 miles into it (I didn't start w/a full tank) and did the 1/4 tank E 85/top off with pump 87 routine and I don't think I have ever seen that much gas left in the tank after a 300-mile run since I have owned the truck, as I did yesterday; and it was about 1/3 rural stop n go, hilly, twisty roads, 2/3 highway at 65-70;
I run a AFB 9635 that I bought used and had a rough "tuning log" that the seller gave me as was used on a 350 for a while; IDK if it is out of the box stock; but as well as it runs on the E 85 blend I'm sure it could be jetted a bit leaner for straight gas operation; they say all you need is like 25-30% richer jetting than what is optimum on pump gas.
and jsut because you can adjust it to a smooth idle and the best vac gauge reading etc DOES NOT mean that the carb is jetted right for that engine for "best" conditions.....
Mine runs great on regular gas; but I know it could be better economy wise.
That said I have 2 TQs enroute back from DemonSizzler, one of which is already destined for a spot on that 318.

I have had my best service out of TQs than any other 4 barrel; AFBs are a close 2nd; and Holleys? I hate em. the only thing Holley carbs are good for is as a door stop.
I may be onto something here; I now have what I need to run propane on that truck, sitting in my garage; I am gonna get it all running the best I possibly can on this TQ and then add the dual fuel propane setup; It runs on gas; it runs on E 85 and within a month or 2, I will have it running on LP as well.

I would like to hear specifics on this. Will aluminum fuel line stand up to it? I have also heard it takes a lot bigger jets than gas in the carb. Any ratio for that. Do you run bigger jets and a richer mixture or do you need more air too. It eats braided fuel line? Is this true. I may start thinking harder about running this in my 10.5 to 1 b/b. Are aluminum heads a draw back? What has to be changed in a 3 circuit dominator?
You DON'T wanna run aluminum fuel line on any mobile engine! it is way too prone to cracking.

-
Back