e-bay distributor????

-

moparsegura

moparmaster
Reaction score
Any body using the smallblock Procomp e-bay distributor?? They sell for under 60 bucks. Just wondering how well they work. I'm not to sure how to add a link to the page but they look ok.

Billy's got a ProComp billet distributor, ignition box and coil on one of his project cars. Comparable to MSD quality but without the MSD price.

I don't know about using them on a $ built engine. Crossfire can blow holes in pistons. The rotor phasing can be off, etc.

My E curve dist from msd was acting funny, would not run with using my 7al box but would run just hooked up to the coil. Msd said to send it in, was 3 years old working perfectly.

Cost me $135 to get it repaired but I swear it looks like a brand new $365 dist.

Msd answers the phones pretty quick too for tech service.

I seriously doubt a $60 e-bay dist. can compare to the quality and performance of a msd...

I would disagree. $60 gets you a billet body, advance mechanism and a generic pickup. Its not an E-curve, but what do you want it to do, it sends a trigger to an external box or fires its own integral HEI coil through a $15 Chevy module. Very simple, very cheap. MSD gets you a huge cap/rotor thats made in China also, probably the same pickup and a billet body as well as an advance mechanism that may have some adjustablilty. Is that worth 200 more? I always questioned pricey dizzys that just trigger, not the ultra adjustable ones. I would put a FBO phased stock electronic distributor up against any MSD distributor apples to apples and I bet you could not see the difference on a scope. Get what works and don't pay for the name unless you are contingency racing.

I would disagree. $60 gets you a billet body, advance mechanism and a generic pickup. Its not an E-curve, but what do you want it to do, it sends a trigger to an external box or fires its own integral HEI coil through a $15 Chevy module. Very simple, very cheap. MSD gets you a huge cap/rotor thats made in China also, probably the same pickup and a billet body as well as an advance mechanism that may have some adjustablilty. Is that worth 200 more? I always questioned pricey dizzys that just trigger, not the ultra adjustable ones. I would put a FBO phased stock electronic distributor up against any MSD distributor apples to apples and I bet you could not see the difference on a scope. Get what works and don't pay for the name unless you are contingency racing.

What e-bay distributor are you looking at?? the one i looked up is nothing more then a modified stock mopar..a far far cry from an msd unit..

I've seen lots of bad things said about them but no evidence to back it up. Seems they have some good qualities. I'm still goin with the MP unit, myself.

On my current stroker build, I am running a 65 dollar billet dist. It has the gm module at the base, but I took it off in favor of a 6AL box. I got mine from a company called white performance, part# 8913M. I am very happy with my cheap unit, and have spun it to about 7000 rpm on my 360(spun a rod bearing doing so, but hey, it never missed!) I’ll eventually upgrade, but for now my cheapie works perfect.

Here is a link to mine, just through a different person.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mopa...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I did a bunch of research and for the money and adjustability a used MP is hard to beat.

When a hole blows through a piston or you are sitting on the side on the freeway with traffic passing you by at 70 mph you wish you spent a little more.

Somethings you can geat cheap on but I would not with a dist. For all you know those are msd rejects. Rotor phasing is very important.

ive run one with 0 problems.the main thing i dont like is its a pain to adjust the advance curve,but it can be done.

I somewhat agree that you get what you pay for. I just figured they had to meet atleast stock standards. I'll probably stay away from it, but like said, It just triggers the MSD so I thought it would be ok to run. I have a MSD now and it works great but would like to see how the procomp e-bay dizzy holds up.

I agree to a point, we run one with a 6al on my son's mild 360 build in his truck and it has worked flawlessly, the advance was set up just as we needed it to be. I'm contemplating using one on my 408, but may go for more adjust-ability in a higher priced unit for that one.....still on the fence. 8)

Rickster

-
Back