E-Brake Cable Rubbing on Drive Shaft

-

66cuda-s

Reaction score
I am finishing up my 8-3/4 differential install on my '66 Cuda and the emergency brake cable is rubbing on the drive shaft. Is this due to the 8-3/4 angling the drive shaft down a bit more than the 7-1/4? Has anyone else had this issue? There is a bracket for the cable attached to the floor and another one on the front of the rear sub-frame (passenger side). I am thinking that I can bend the sub-frame bracket down a bit to get the cable below the drive shaft. Thoughts? I can take pictures if you like.

I am finishing up my 8-3/4 differential install on my '66 Cuda and the emergency brake cable is rubbing on the drive shaft. Is this due to the 8-3/4 angling the drive shaft down a bit more than the 7-1/4? Has anyone else had this issue? There is a bracket for the cable attached to the floor and another one on the front of the rear sub-frame (passenger side). I am thinking that I can bend the sub-frame bracket down a bit to get the cable below the drive shaft. Thoughts? I can take pictures if you like.

With the rear end hanging or car weight on it?

Good question. It is on stands in the rear (subframe), and ramps in front. I have a jack under the differential with the car just off the stands, it is fairly level front to rear. I thought that when I got weight on the springs, that would push the drive shaft up high enough to clear the cable, but it did not.

I had to go and double check... It turns out that I *thought* all the weight was off the stands, but it turns out it was not. Now ... drum roll ... the drive shaft clears the cable. Sorry for the erroneous post. Thank you @TrailBeast for the response!! That was easy...

I wouldnt think bending a bracket would fly anyway as the entire cable is wrenched every time you pull the handle.

-
Back