E Brake Cables help?

-

djwhog

Reaction score
Ok need some help. I have a 64 Dart and am looking to replace the E brake cables as they are worn and the cables that connect to the brakes them self in the rear end are damaged.

I need to know if these cables will work with my setup? I have a 70 8 3/4 rear end installed in the Dart with the large finned 10" rear brakes out of a Duster. Are the rear section of the cables the correct type to connect to the e brake assembly the same for a 7 1/4 and a 8 3/4 rear? Details please :)

Here is the listing of the cable set and the link thanks guys!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370295408370&viewitem=

Description:
New, 4-piece parking brake cable set for all 1963 1964 1965 1966 Plymouth and Dodge A-Body. Front cable includes firewall grommet + + + + Buyer pays $12.85 shipping & insurance within continental USA + + + + For more MoPar items, visit the Atlas Obsolete Chrysler Parts eBayStore (308-013)

all of the cables attach the same inside the drums. The differences are in length and routing. That price is outragous in my opinion. Someone here should have good used cables to sell.

bump anyone have a set for sale?

PS thanks for the help too!
Thought they were the same just needed to confirm..:)

go to rock auto-- look up the cables for your 64-- I'm pretty sure the 8 3/4 -- will accept the 7 1/4 stuff just fine----- do you still have your old rear? not sure what else you need-- but the each cable from the backing plate -- connect it to your park brake cable loop & adjust-- business!! Lawrence

I'm sure I have a good used set or individual ones if you don't need them all. $25.00 each or $75.00 set plus the UPS ride.
Thanks, Mark

Year-One has complete sets for around the same price as the guy on greedbay I don't think $237 is a bad price for new, especially when they come with the grommets and clips, the front and intermediate cables for the early A's are the expensive ones, you can get the ones for later A's for a lot less. Year-one also has the rears for $25 each which are usually the ones that go bad.

Thanks Steve, I will look into it!

Why does it list 67 up as a diff set for the cars? Also I noticed there is a set on the 67 with no interm cable, and no 66 listing strange..

What all is diff, is it the front or intermediate cables etc?

No I chenged the rear end like 30 years ago, and on the last rebuild a year ago the cables are shot, worn out etc, the mounts for them into the drums are a gonner.

thanks for the help and info guys!

That's a good price at inlinetube.com for the set if they are the correct ones when you get them. I've heard of places that say they have them but turned out they are the 67 up style cables. Year-One is still half the price on the rears though.

The 67 up cars have completely different cables and won't interchange with the early A-Body cars. The 66 back cars have the intermediate cable run under the drive shaft back to the rears which are the same length. The 67 up has the cables run along the left frame rail and meats up with both rears on the left side of the car next to the front leaf spring mount and on the 67 up cars, the right rear cable is twice as long as the left.

You may be able to convert the 66 back cars to the 67 up cables, but you would probably have to switch everything and relocate the mounting point of the rear of the front cable.

I looked under my 66 and the cables look like the ones for the 64-65 cars but may be a different length.

I had inline tube custom match a set off my 1969 F250 four door pickup and their price was around $150.00 for OEM. They turned the order around in about a week. Shipping was extra.

Don't know anything about availability, price, etc., but I do know that the cables from my 64 7 1/4" rear hooked right up to the brakes on my 71 A body8 3/4" with nothing more than a parking brake adjustment.

Don't know anything about availability, price, etc., but I do know that the cables from my 64 7 1/4" rear hooked right up to the brakes on my 71 A body8 3/4" with nothing more than a parking brake adjustment.

The part of the cable that goes in the backing plate is the same on most cars, Mopar and even Ford as well as some GM's. their designed to fit the standard Bendix/Wagner style brakes.

-
Back