early 4 spd trans.

-

ir3333

Reaction score
..how do the early '65 4 speed transmissions and components
differ from 68 and later units?
..Can a 65 trans be used in a '68 dart conversion?

Yes
But
The early trannys(65down) have a ball and trunion hook-up to the driveshaft, sortof like a modern CV shaft. To change it to a slip yoke style, you will need the 66up parts namely;a mainshaft, a rear extension housing and the slip yoke driveshaft. Additionally the later parts have a larger diameter speedo gear set up.
Some guys say they put a pretty good amount of power through that old-style coupler.IDK. I hooked a 340 up to one once. It held up for over a year,and was still in there when I sold the car.I have blown several 7260 joints with a mild 360(425hp)
The early units also have the 3.09 low, as compared to the later 2.66low. That 3.09 works very well with 3.55s and even with 3.23s. My stout 360 doesn't notice the wide 1-2 shift.I like it a lot. The 3.09 has 16% more giddy-up, but when you hit second,your engine better be able to pull it; so 3.55s are still the gear of choice in a streeter,especially with a short stroke sbm.My 360 with a 230* cam pulls 3.23s OK.The 223*cam was better tho.That cam pulled anything!

Yes
But
The early trannys(65down) have a ball and trunion hook-up to the driveshaft, sortof like a modern CV shaft. To change it to a slip yoke style, you will need the 66up parts namely;a mainshaft, a rear extension housing and the slip yoke driveshaft. Additionally the later parts have a larger diameter speedo gear set up.
Some guys say they put a pretty good amount of power through that old-style coupler.IDK. I hooked a 340 up to one once. It held up for over a year,and was still in there when I sold the car.I have blown several 7260 joints with a mild 360(425hp)
The early units also have the 3.09 low, as compared to the later 2.66low. That 3.09 works very well with 3.55s and even with 3.23s. My stout 360 doesn't notice the wide 1-2 shift.I like it a lot. The 3.09 has 16% more giddy-up, but when you hit second,your engine better be able to pull it; so 3.55s are still the gear of choice in a streeter,especially with a short stroke sbm.My 360 with a 230* cam pulls 3.23s OK.The 223*cam was better tho.That cam pulled anything!

Guess we all are different. My favorite street gear is a 4.56 with a 3.09 first gear. But I'm just cave man like that.

Guess we all are different. My favorite street gear is a 4.56 with a 3.09 first gear. But I'm just cave man like that.
I ran 4.88s with the 3.09O/D for a few weeks,with a GV for splittin and double O/D and 7 useable ratios,but didn't like it,much. I switched to all kinds of chunks and 3 different tranny ratios.
I ended up with the 3.09/Direct box, the GV and 3.55s. This is MY favorite;a 10.97 starter, and 2.77 final drive.At 63, my cave-man days are all behind me now. :(

I ran that combo in my 340 Duster years ago. I still have the 3.09 trans in my "parts accumulation". That was great for launches!

Hey Yellow Rose
I agree with your gear set up. I have that in my Dart and love the combo. It pulls off the line like a Tractor.

-
Back