Status
Not open for further replies.

392Mopar

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Contact seller
Early 904 cable shifted auto $100.

Hey guys I bought a complete 340/904 setup that was in a 64 Barracuda and have no use for the trans. I heard the engine run but didnt see the car drive but I was told that the transmission worked perfectly with zero problems. I opened it up tonight and it looks great inside, very clean and no visible signs of any issues. I was told its a 904 and it seems to be a cable shifted trans that has the cable included that runs directly into the transmission. It has a bolt on style hookup for the driveshaft on the rear, no slip in yolk, I quess this is how the earliers ones were. It comes complete with the torq converter. The numbers on the pan rail are...
2464979U 1317049

This is too big to ship so local pickup only in Hazlet, NJ 07730 If you need more pictures just let me know. I have no idea what tese are worth but it looks like its in great shape, although a little dirty on the outside so I'll say $100 for it. Pm me if interested.

Butch

Attachments

• 2010-10-11 043 (Medium).jpg
    114 KB · Views: 986
  • 2010-10-11 036 (Medium).JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 502
  • 2010-10-11 030 (Medium).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 452
  • 2010-10-11 041 (Medium).jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 488
  • 2010-10-11 044 (Medium).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 457
Any takers, gonna go on the auction sight this weekend, make an offer if needed.

Butch

Its still for sale, dropped to $75 for a good early tranny. Anyone need one before parting it out?

Butch

392Mopar,

Re what it is worth, I bought a cable-shift 727 SB tranny at a local show this summer for $100. I have seen others ask $100 for them locally. Shipping is the killer.

Before you sell it, insure you can use a later transmission. Most likely your 340 has the later larger pilot hole on the crank that the torque converter slips in. I don't know if any 340's had the earlier small hole. They probably used a spacer ring to match the '64 torque converter, otherwise they might have used a later torque converter w/ later input shaft (recall reading).

If you happen to have the smaller crank I have a 904 torque converter with 2000 stall new that I had ordered to fit a 318 with 273 forged crank changed plans & dont need it let me know if you are interested

The 340 is a 1972 and it actually has a pilot bushing in it so it must have been hooked up to a stick at one point, which is what I'm going to run, I have an aluminum OD A833 and a close ratio 74 Iron 4 speed.

Thanks for the heads up though, I know, not shipping is a killer, but too much a hastle.

Butch

If you happen to have the smaller crank I have a 904 torque converter with 2000 stall new that I had ordered to fit a 318 with 273 forged crank changed plans & dont need it let me know if you are interested

Im interested in that converter. How much shipped to 98383?

Thanks!

Let me give it a couple more days to see if I can sell the entire setup, if not then I'll part it out and find out what it would cost to ship.

Butch

Early 904 cable shifted auto $100.

Hey guys I bought a complete 340/904 setup that was in a 64 Barracuda and have no use for the trans. I heard the engine run but didnt see the car drive but I was told that the transmission worked perfectly with zero problems. I opened it up tonight and it looks great inside, very clean and no visible signs of any issues. I was told its a 904 and it seems to be a cable shifted trans that has the cable included that runs directly into the transmission. It has a bolt on style hookup for the driveshaft on the rear, no slip in yolk, I quess this is how the earliers ones were. It comes complete with the torq converter. The numbers on the pan rail are...
2464979U 1317049

This is too big to ship so local pickup only in Hazlet, NJ 07730 If you need more pictures just let me know. I have no idea what tese are worth but it looks like its in great shape, although a little dirty on the outside so I'll say $100 for it. Pm me if interested.

Butch

Any idea what the REAR cable on the tail shaft does?

I was actually asking Fordilac about his converter. When you decide thought let me know either way I need a good cheap converter :)

Any idea what the REAR cable on the tail shaft does?

That's the park sprag cable. Its job is to engage or disengage the park sprag when the driver shifts into or out of Park.

392Mopar: that filter looks nice and red, but it's also the wrong one. It's the big '66-up filter with only one fluid intake port on top. If one of these is run on a '65 or earlier Torqueflite without cutting the necessary 2nd fluid intake port out of the upper surface of the filter, the rear pump will starve, whine, and eventually spall.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to take a look at that, but I dont know what year the trans is, it was in a 64 but I dont know if it is a 64, any way to tell what year it is? And the other cable(parking as you mentioned) looks like its cut on the other end as there is no fitting or linkage.

Butch

Nope, I got a shifter for this trans too if someone needs one. It has provisions for 2 cables, the selector and the park cable. It also has a NRN321 valve body as the Park position only engages the rear pawl IIRC. I believe the Park pawl pushes into the rear cable port as the cables leave the same direction, forward.

No one needs a great early auto trans, I'll even take $50 for it if you can get here and pick it up asap, tired of looking at it.

Get it as a spare!!!!!!!

Butch

Last call, I'm gonna junk it this week if no ones interested, no room to keep it around, make offer.

Butch

392Mopar,

If you will discard, I would like some smaller parts that are easy to ship:

Shift cable w/ round nut and screw
Parking cable w/ box that attaches to transmission
Speedometer cable
I'll pay $30 plus shipping

You might want to save the valve body and torque converter since specific to the early trannys. I already have a spare valve body (for my 65 Newport 727 & 65 Dart), plus I recall 64 ones use a different shift pattern.

Great you found a local buyer. Throwing it away would make us early A's cry. But can't store everything and shipping a trans is ~$400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back